Shipping Canon Printers

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I have purchased many used Canon printers on eBay and the ones shipped by USPS fair the best. Unless you completely wrap the printer in wide cellophane, I would NOT recommend styrofoam peanuts because it gets into everything inside the printer and it is very difficult if not impossible to clear out all the little shreads.
OOPS, I forgot to mention that I typically completely wrap the printer in bubble wrap (3/8") before exposing it to the peanuts.
I like peanuts for space-filling and shock absorption.
I agree, to have peanut particles migrating everywhere would be very bad.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Trigger 37 said:
Both Canon and Epson specifically state in their Service manuals, if you have to ship the printer, leave the ink carts in the printhead and park the printhead buy just turning the printer off and it will park over the nozzle caps. This keeps the printhead from drying out and also limits any ink leakage in the printer. Even if it does leak a little it is just going down into the waste ink pads.
Thanks again.
These are excellent points.
I have noticed that iP1500's that I've had, do not seem to lock the printhead tightly enough for my liking.
Haven't had any reports of ink leakage, and thanks to this heads-up, I'll protect against it next time.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jflan, ghwellsjr,... Hope you don't mind if I ask you about printers. I've been repairing a lot of Canon printers and I'm getting pretty good at it. I am confident that I can fix just about any problem with them. In the past I have stayed away from other printers because I just don't have that much experience with them,... but I just bit the bullet and have launched in to doing Espon printers. I just bought 5 different kinds to start with and see how difficult they are. Would you share with me your opinion on how repairable Epson printers are. I've got several of their Service Manuals and they are "WAY MORE Complete" than any Canon Service Manual I have ever seen. I'm very impressed with the manuals I have. They have so many detailed pictures and notes on each page, it should be of great help.

What do you say?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with Epson other than the few I've had apart were built very well. Made in Japan beige beauties : )

With the printheads being not user-serviceable, I would think that there should be plenty of "rescue-able" used Epsons around.
I'm sure someone can chime in with the current Hall-of-Famers.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I also have very little experience with Epson printers but I was able to unclog my neighbor's Epson printer. You can read about it here:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8102#p8102

I believe there are a lot of Epson printers sitting around that have suffered a similar fate that people would be willing to give up for practically nothing and they aren't that hard to get going again, at least if they had the same problem as my neighbor's.