Service mode- does it void warranty?

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If i go into service mode, and tell a canon rep (and show them the service mode nozzle check), will i lose my warranty on my new printer?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
No you will not. But why do you need to do so?
The canon rep should go into service mode and print a nozzle check himself.

Do you want to prove that your printer is faulty and canon does not admit that by doing simple nozzle check?

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, i called canon tech support, and they asked me to email a scan of a nozzle check, and i want sure whether i'd be safe sending a service mode nozzle check.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I asked a canon support person whether i could enter service mode and send him a nozzle check, and he said that doing so would void my warranty, as service mode isnt detailed in the manual.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Token said:
Well, i called canon tech support, and they asked me to email a scan of a nozzle check, and i want sure whether i'd be safe sending a service mode nozzle check.
I think you're getting confused between the detailed service mode that only a technician would normally have the information for, or the maintenance functions that are provided in printing preferences.

The latter are readily available and include a "nozzle check" function which will print the nozzle check pattern that you can then send to tech support. This is normal functionality and wouldn't affect your warranty at all.

It sounds like you may have gotten some confusing or contradictory information from somewhere so I'd start fresh and use the info above.

Good luck.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail:

I was referring to the nozzle that you can initiate by:
turning the printer off
holding the cancel/resume button and pushing and holding the power button while not letting go of the cancel/resume button
while holding on to the power button, pressing the cancel/resume button twice
then letting go of the power button
then, pressing the cancel/resume button once, and finally pushing the power button once to start printing a nozzle check.
(for anyone else reading the thread: pressing the cancel/resume button twice and then the power button prints an eeprom page, with lots of numbers and figures. Pressing the power button without hitting cancel or resume exits the service mode and turns the printer off)

I have been led to believe that this is entering service mode, and this procedure is not indicated anywhere in the canon user manual.

In any case, i already spoke to the service technician (see my thread http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=25066)

Thanks anyway
Your (and everyone elses) help is always appreciated

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Token,

Unless I'm mistaken you can get the same nozzle check by pressing and holding the cancel/resume button and waiting for the power light to flash twice before letting go. That doesn't use service mode and is just the equivalent of a shortcut to get the same output as the printer maintenance > nozzle check option.

That said, it does sound like you are entering service mode but in truth I don't think you'll find that the service tech would have needed anything other than the normal nozzle check...

Anyhoo, as you said, you're all sorted, so hopefully this will prove useful for anyone else in a similar position.

Cheers
:)

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail:

Just for your (and other canon users) reference- pushing the cancel/resume button untill the power light flashes twice produces the "regular" nozzle check (the one which can be produced from printer maintenance), while the method i detailed in my previous post produces a completely different nozzle check page (which also has lots of other information on it). I have uploaded both type of nozzle checks.

To download, go here:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=25078#p25078
(There are two scans: one regular nozzle check, and one service mode nozzle check. Both are printed on "epson photo quality inkjet paper" [its one of the sharpest papers i have encountered])

Although, you are probably right about the service techs not requiring the service mode print- according to the tech i spoke to, end users arent supposed to enter service mode :p

EDIT: I have been informed by Grandad35 that some people dont like downloading .zip files. I have now uploaded the images individually.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Token... That's cool... My original point was that if Canon techs have asked you for a nozzle check they're going to be wanting the one you get without entering service mode. :)

The other one is definitely more useful for diagnosis but that's just where I was coming from.. :)