Service error 5110 on Canon Pixma Pro 9000

phsteele

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro 9000. I printed four 13x19 prints without any problems, and then turned the printer off for a couple of weeks. When I turned the printer on tonight, it goes through a startup sequence and eventually fails. The error light blinks 11 times, then pauses, then blinks 11 times, etc. The manual indicates that 11 blinks can be caused by several different problems associated with the ink tank. However, none of the suggestions fix the problem. If I try to access the status of the printer from Windows it fails with "Service Error 5110". It says to turn the printer off and try again, and if that doesn't work consult the manual. Additional google seaches didn't give me any further info.

Anyone ever seen this error before?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Do you use a long USB cable or use a USB hub to extend the length of the connection? It seems to be a problem associated with communicating with the computer. Are there any other USB devices on the same USB bus? Try to make a short connection and shut the printer off. Reboot the computer then power the printer back on. This may reset it and bring it back to work.

phsteele

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm using a 11-foot USB cable, which worked fine when I first set the printer up. I get the error even when I remove the cable, so I don't think it can be the cable. The 11 blinks indicate some sort of print head problem (I think)...

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
phsteele said:
If I try to access the status of the printer from Windows it fails with "Service Error 5110". It says to turn the printer off and try again,
This is what makes me suspect that it is a communication problem between the computer and the printer. I have experienced similar problems using long USB cable or using a USB hub. Once the error is present it won't go away until I reboot my computer. You are using a 11 foot USB cable. That's longer than usual. Is it USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 classified cable? Just give it a try by rebooting. It's free.

phsteele

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I switched to the standard 6' USB 2 cable I have on my Epson R300 and the error still occurs...

phsteele

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
After talking with Canon Tech Support, they told me to return the printer and get a replacement. Everything is working fine now...

sarond

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether the Pixma Pro 9000 has the same service codes as the IP4200 but from the service manual an error 5110 could be a Carriage lift mechanism error

with the following parts that may be the causing the fault
PR lift shaft assembly
Sheet feed unit
Logic board assembly
Carriage lift sensor unit

Hope this helps

Damo

Don Lee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon kept jamming and flashing lights after about 4 weeks. Called Canon tech and went through all the diagnostics and was told to take it into an authorized repair center.

Apparently there is a tech bulliten regarding some special lubricant needed for the new paper feed mechanism. I should get it back soon and hopefully it works ok. Give Canon a call.

daniel.reyland

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
:D Hi all,
I had the same problem but fixed myself.

What I had to do was open the lid and turn the printer on. While the printer is going through its startup GENTLY push the print head and cartgridge tray to the right.
What I think happened with mine, was it was turned off while the lid was open and an ink cartridge was out. When turned on it could not test or clean, hence the problem. So gently pushing to the right it was able to shift everything back into place for startup test. Hope this helps some of you.

PS I was freaking as I had only had the printer for just over a month LOL

:D