Scanning over lan with Pixma MP530

duecekd

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Canon Pixma MP530 printer/scanner/fax that is attached to a pc running WinXP. I have another pc also running XP connected to it thru a Linksys router. I have no problems printing from the remote pc. I have installed the full blown bundled software from Canon on the remote pc. To scan or fax you are to use Canons program MP Navigator.

This works fine on the connected pc. I have print sharing enabled for fax and printing on the connected pc, and as I said, printing works dandy from the remote. My problem is when I try to start the MP Navigator on the remote, I get an error msg stating that "The scanner drivers are not installed. Install drivers and try again".

At first I thought it would use the drivers on the connected pc, but I guess that's not the case and that is why I installed all the software on the remote.

If anyone has run across this dilemma , and has a fix, or any suggestions, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance--KD

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Unless you are using a dedicated LAN-enabled multifunctional or special duplexed USB-printservers (rather expensive and not working with all types of scanners on multifunctionals), it is virtually impossible to share the scanner in a network. There are some software packages which enables you to share the scanner of a multifunctional device in a network (RemoteScan: Citrix based), but those are very lumpy a requires a lot of system resources.

It won't work if you install the scanner drivers on you local computer: I already tried this with my Canon MP780 multifunctional. Only printer (with ink level status) and fax functions will work.

duecekd

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Pharmacist. It isn't what I wanted to hear, but at least now I won't beat my brains out trying to make it work. I have to say though, I am happy with the printer so far on all other aspects.