Scanner + Printer vs All-in-one?

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Canon scanners will recognize the Canon printer and allow you to print right to it if I recall rightly.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks,folks.I may pick up a used Canon scanner(they are really cheap on Craig'sList).

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
avolanche said:
Thanks,folks.I may pick up a used Canon scanner(they are really cheap on Craig'sList).
Yes, the canon software is rather keyed to canon stuff. This isn't always a good thing though since they tend to bypass the api layer. It's sort of a no no. But it does, in theory, provide you with ease of use, using their own shit to scan with fewer button presses.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like it will be fine for copies of documents(bills,etc.).

Any preferred models? There are about 10 different Canoscan Lide models I've found.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'm also one who prefers a standalone printer and scanner.
Never had a Canon scanner, but have had very good luck with lightly used scanners found on Craigslist.
HP 3400c, HP 3500c and an Epson 636U.
All worked fine with my Canon printers.
The HP's were lower end but the Epson, I really like. Very well built, warms up instantly and the motor has that quality sound.
I'm not an Epson fan, but their scanners seem to get good reviews.
Although the Epson never had official drivers, I was able to get it to work under XP using a W2K TWAIN driver and Irfanview.
http://www.irfanview.com/

The HP's have XP drivers and will sync with a Canon printer.

For simple photo copies this freebie works well :
http://www.download.com/Photocopier/3000-2118_4-10059215.html
The quick and dirty method :)

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
avolanche said:
Any preferred models? There are about 10 different Canoscan Lide models I've found.
I would go with any LiDE scanner with a 60 or above in it's number - LiDE-60, LiDE-70, LiDE-80 etc. Think they have some features/software that make them more versatile then the LiDE-25 or LiDE-30. I have the LiDE-60 and am happy with it.

Steve W.