SC-P400 Firmware Update Question

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an Epson SC-P400, I'm working very hard to not upgrade the firmware as I am concerned that I will be locked out of using non OEM carts. I am now working with a Epson Photo Scanner, model FF-640, and it wants to update the firmware. Is it possible that a firmware update on the photo scanner could also update the firmware on the P400?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There should not be a risk like that; Epson is doing the updates via a separate program 'Epson software Updater' which you should find on your computer. And this allows you to set the update cycle for every (newer) installed printer as you want it, and if you put the P400 on 'never' then you are on the safe side. I don't know if Epson includes your scanner into this program or runs a separate update cycle as with older printers.

Epson 1.jpg

Epson 2.jpg

You get the updater software installed if you install the driver and the other software from CD, and you can select separate updates for the driver, the firmware and the other software as listed for your specific situation, and the available updates are displayed before you actually select and perform them.

Last edited:

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, however in going back into the scanning software this morning, I realized that there is more to it than just Epson Software Updater. The scanner software wants me to update the firmware using "Epson Firmware Updater", having never used this app I am a bit nervous to proceed. See the attached screenshots.
mqe9koj
2Uxflkz
Not sure if the screenshots made it, one shows that the scanning software is requesting a firmware update, the other is a shot of the "Epson Firmware Updater" window.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
and what can be seen on the next window ? Epson won't push down any update at this time - probably at step 6 or 7 if you click o.k. somewhere, select the devices and software for which an update is available.