Samsung ML-1450 - refills or remanuf cartridges for 8-year old printer

idbit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding usable remanufactured cartridges for this printer. Either they start printing light after 1000 prints (while still full with toner), or they print dirty and have ghosting issues. I even bought a new Samsung label cartridge. What a waste of $125. There was hardly any toner in the thing. Then when I refilled it, prints were too light and that was it for that cartridge. I don't know if the toner refill I used was bad or if the Samsung cartridge was no good before that. I know it started printing light prematurely. I just don't remember if it was printing light due to being low on toner - or printing light due to being shot. Yeah, that whole thing confuses me, where they start printing light, even though there's plenty of toner. I never know if it's the toner or the cartridge to blame.

So has anybody had any luck with one of these older Samsungs? 8 years old is a little old, but not that old. I hate to have to trash a laser printer that still works fine.

Thanks!
IB

iaiconjenny

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
idbit said:
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding usable remanufactured cartridges for this printer. Either they start printing light after 1000 prints (while still full with toner), or they print dirty and have ghosting issues. I even bought a new Samsung label cartridge. What a waste of $125. There was hardly any toner in the thing. Then when I refilled it, prints were too light and that was it for that cartridge. I don't know if the toner refill I used was bad or if the Samsung cartridge was no good before that. I know it started printing light prematurely. I just don't remember if it was printing light due to being low on toner - or printing light due to being shot. Yeah, that whole thing confuses me, where they start printing light, even though there's plenty of toner. I never know if it's the toner or the cartridge to blame.

So has anybody had any luck with one of these older Samsungs? 8 years old is a little old, but not that old. I hate to have to trash a laser printer that still works fine.

Thanks!
IB
I donot like Samsung printers, not good...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
idbit said:

Thanks!
IB
You are having two problems with your printer, the lightness of image and the unwanted grey ghosting images.

Before you refill you must remove all of the old toner from the cartridge first, this can get very messy but it has to be done,
when you mix old and new toner together the end result is very poor grey images.

If the drum gets contaminate with poor toner or foreign material it shows as another image on the paper (Like the old Fax rolls).

You can carefully clean the drum with moisten cotton wool soaked in alcohol, letting it dry before moving onto the next section,
its slow tedious work and will clean it up about 75%, but not all of it.

If you really want to get it working properly again youre going to have to get a new cartridge and drum and start over,
and next time discard the used toner first before refilling and dont be tempted to save it.

I too have a 11 year old ML1450 and it prints as crisp and as sharp as the day I first bought it,
I am on my fourth high yield cartridge so it has printed well over 16K and has been totally trouble free.

I only use OEM cartridges and why not, you get a new drum included with every toner cartridge free and I dont think you can beat that for value,
I also have a 14 year old Brother HL 1240, now on its third replacement drum and they are expensive to buy unlike their Samsung cousins..

idbit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Before you refill you must remove all of the old toner from the cartridge first, this can get very messy but it has to be done,
when you mix old and new toner together the end result is very poor grey images.
Thanks for the info Hat! Yeah, I should have mentioned that I always empty the old toner first. I've even gone as far as taking it apart and getting every single speck of old toner out. (And I never use toner that's already been opened.) I'm wondering if the problem is the toner brand I was using. I've read about how nobody is allowed to use the actual factory toner except for the factory itself. So it seems like some people may do a better job of mimicking the factory toner? I've had remanuf cartridges that I never refilled yet start printing light at 1000 pages (while still almost full). I thought maybe there was something wrong with my printer. But the last 2 remanuf cartridges (from a different vendor) proved me wrong with that. They never started printing light. So does that mean that that particular toner maker is doing a better job of mimicking the factory toner? Now I would just buy more of those cartridges I just mentioned. But both cartridges had problems with ghosting and printing dirty. And I never refilled them. It never got that far. You said ghosting is caused from debris on drum. That makes sense because the qc on these is terrible. It's not just this vendor, but all that I've tried. When I check the screws, half of them are stripped, some are missing. Every time. So it's no wonder stuff gets on the drum. I think this printer is just too old and too uncommon to ever expect to get a hold a usable remanuf cartridge again.

The Hat said:
I too have a 11 year old ML1450 and it prints as crisp and as sharp as the day I first bought it,
Dang, now that I look back at my receipt, I have had it 9 1/2 years. And it was on sale at the time. So yeah, it must be 11 years old! Besides this toner cartridge issue, it's been a great printer. The label printing has been alot smoother than the last laser I owned that was much more expensive.

The Hat said:
I am on my fourth high yield cartridge so it has printed well over 16K and has been totally trouble free.
That's great news! What do you mean by "high yield cartridge" and where does one find one of these? The other issue is the toner. As I mentioned, I always empty the old toner. Still I get light prints at 1000 with the last toner brand I tried. I think this is really important. There's probably only one brand that works and I need to find that brand. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
IB

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
idbit said:
That's great news! What do you mean by "high yield cartridge" and where does one find one of these? The other issue is the toner. As I mentioned, I always empty the old toner. Still I get light prints at 1000 with the last toner brand I tried. I think this is really important. There's probably only one brand that works and I need to find that brand. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
IB
The one I always use is the ML-6060D6 black toner High yield cartridge (original).
There is also the ML-1210D3 Toner Black Cartridge (Standard)

Its quite possible that the 3rd party refill cartridges that your getting have not had the drum clean properly
and that is whats causing some of the problems, just a guess.

If you refill your own cartridges I have heard of some guys using a vacuum cleaner to suck out all of the old toner before putting in the new stuff.
Have at look at this link below and see if that will give you any ideas on where and which compatible cartridge works best in your laser.
http://www.inkowl.com/index.php?C=2&S=4

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
It's important when you clean the cartridge to remove the wiper blade and clean the compartment underneath it. Check out some of these videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA81AD68B34B82FE8
And be careful if you use a vacuum cleaner! The toner is a very fine dust that passes through household vacuum filters. It's dangerous to breathe it in and it will get everywhere... You need to use a filter specifically designed for toner.

idbit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The Hat said:
The one I always use is the ML-6060D6 black toner High yield cartridge (original).
Is that the new one with the official Samsung logo? I know you said you buy the OEM ones. But I think everybody has a different definition of OEM. I'm old. So when I think of OEM, I think of Samsung manufacturing the cartridges then selling them to a different company that puts their own label on it. Is that what you're talking about? A new factory cartridge with a non-Samsung label on it? Or are you talking about the one with the Samsung label, in the blue and white box, that's about $140?

The Hat said:
Its quite possible that the 3rd party refill cartridges that your getting have not had the drum clean properly
and that is whats causing some of the problems, just a guess.
Yeah maye. At least now I know it's not a big deal to take them apart and clean the drum. I always thought if you touched the drum, you ruined it. Those videos Tudor posted really help me see what's going on better.

The Hat said:
Have at look at this link below and see if that will give you any ideas on where and which compatible cartridge works best in your laser.
http://www.inkowl.com/index.php?C=2&S=4
That's where I bought the last two remanuf cartridges that were bad. Well, now I know maybe they weren't bad, just a dirty drum. Although both of them give off a weird almost plasticky melting type smell every now and then. The one I have now ghosts when I print envelopes and prints a dot in the same spot every drum rotation, so I could probably clean that off. It also leaves about a 2-mm white dot at the same spot every drum rotation. That's probably not something you can clean off. Yeah, I told them about the problems. They were nice about it and offered to refund it. I just held on to it though because I needed it.

I think I might want to try their toner refill though. Because one thing I can say about their cartridges, they didn't start printing light after 1000 prints (while still half full). That's a first. Every other remanuf cartridge I've bought in the past couple years has done that. It started making me think my printer was bad.

Thanks for help! I really appreciate it.
IB

idbit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Tudor said:
It's important when you clean the cartridge to remove the wiper blade and clean the compartment underneath it. Check out some of these videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA81AD68B34B82FE8
And be careful if you use a vacuum cleaner! The toner is a very fine dust that passes through household vacuum filters. It's dangerous to breathe it in and it will get everywhere... You need to use a filter specifically designed for toner.
Hey thanks Tudor. Those videos help alot! I know I never cleaned the wiper blade. At least now I know where to look.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
idbit said:
Is that the new one with the official Samsung logo? I know you said you buy the OEM ones. But I think everybody has a different definition of OEM. I'm old. So when I think of OEM, I think of Samsung manufacturing the cartridges then selling them to a different company that puts their own label on it. Is that what you're talking about? A new factory cartridge with a non-Samsung label on it? Or are you talking about the one with the Samsung label, in the blue and white box, that's about $140?

Thanks for help! I really appreciate it.
IB
I only use the official Samsung cartridges (Blue & White box), yes there are expensive
but I know Ill get trouble free prints every time with no exception for well over 6000 sheets..:)

idbit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The Hat said:
I only use the official Samsung cartridges (Blue & White box), yes there are expensive
but I know Ill get trouble free prints every time with no exception for well over 6000 sheets..:)
Cool Thanks! The 'high yield' part had me confused because the last one I bought was by far the lowest yield cartridge I ever bought. I got about 1500 prints out if it. But my prints are mostly very dense and printed on legal sized paper. So probably about 4 times more toner on the page than the 5% coverage on letter paper standard that Samsung uses. So 6000 sounds about right if you're using that - 5% coverage on letter paper. But if they're using that, man the people that sell the remanuf cartridges are missing out. They could be advertising 12000 prints and calling their cartridges 'super high yield', because the remanufs definitely give you at least double the toner that Samsung does. I'm not complaining though. That's not why you buy the Samsung. You buy it so you have a new drum and screw holes that aren't stripped out.

Thanks again!
IB