Samsung CLX-3175: Chip or EEPROM Hack? Best Toner?

leonetu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP DJ7000, Samsung CLX-3175LNX
Hi folks!

I have one that just ran out of toner (original supplied) and now about to use refills and in my research, I came across 2 types of resetting system possible: toner chip and an EEPROM chip. My questions are:
  1. Is the toner chip a one-time purchase that resets automatically (just like an inkjet CISS chip), or will it need to be replaced each toner refill? I've seen some HP refills that need chip replacement per refill.
  2. I understand the EEPROM hack can be done without a chip by grounding, which then resets the page count of the toner(?). However, there is a chip advertised on eBay that can be soldered to the EEPROM that automatically resets toner, drum, etc numbers. Has anyone used this hack? How effective is it?
  3. Is there a specific toner brand/seller recommended for this printer model?
  4. Which would be the better reset option? I am sending off the printer away for my wife and kids to use without tinker-dad supervising and fixing equipment (this is also the reason why I decided on using laser, as opposed to inkjet/CISS). Prints will be used mainly for homework and occasional school reports.
Thanks in advance!

- L