row of nozzlecheck shows only half ???

Skyalex

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this, so I apologize for any stupid questions in advance :)

I've got a Canon MP600 and I've run out of ink at the PGBK tank. Unfortunately I didn't fill it up for about three weeks. Well, after I finally filled the cartridge back up, the nozzle check sheet showed only the top half of the PGBK line. All the other ones where fine. I did a couple of deep clean cycles but with no result. In fact the PGBK line always stops at the exact same half way down position. I tried to realighn the print head but the software doesn't let me. It comes a failure message: Blah Blah... head nozzles may be clogged ... blah blah ... execute cleaning ... Blah ... try again.
How can I clean these little nozzles? Why does it always stop at the exact position? I even tried to soak the bottom of the printhead for an hour in water but that didn't help either. The purge pump can't be damaged if it is working half way, or? Should I buy a new printhead?
Please help...
Thanks
A frustrated newbi :(

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
When a print head only prints exactly half of the nozzles for any particular color, that is an indication that there is an internal electrical problem which cannot be fixed except by buying a new print head.

Skyalex

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
why does it play up? It is not that old ( approx. 3 Years). Is there any particular reason? I printed with the other colors a lot. could that be a reason? Is it actually possible to fill this other black into the PGBK and print with this color (it is always left over...)?

Thank you
Cheers
Alex

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You can get your printer to print using the dye black ink cartridge (CLI-8Bk) on plain paper if you tell the printer that you are printing on matte paper. But don't refill that cartridge with pigment black ink as this will no doubt lead to a lot of clogged nozzles.

ddlinke

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon Pixima IP5200. I'll upload my print nozzle check. Please help me verify that I need a new print head...Are there any other explanations for my PGBK check results? I've tried numerous cleanings and deep cleanings which have not helped. Thanks. Don

My image would show the top half of alternating columns in the PGBK area are blank.

I tried to load the image...The following errors need to be corrected before the message can be posted:

We have been having a big problem with spam and have had to temporarilly limit what brand new members can post. To continue, please reduce the number of URLs or images in your post to 0.

ddlinke

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
8374_nozzle_check.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sharply demarcated print malfunctions such as yours are not related to clogged nozzles in the print head nor ink starvation from a cartridge. The odds of such a perfect defect from clogged nozzles is astronomically against odds and make your problem an X-File case fit for Scully and Mulder.

Yes, you have either a print head or logic board problem. I believe yours is a print head issue that will resolve with a new print head. Logic board issues should create error messages that are supposed to be displayed. Print head issues of this variety will not post an error message.

The balance of your nozzle check looks great to me. While deciding or waiting for a new print head, try ghwellsjr's suggestion to use Matte setting instead of Plain Paper setting for plain paper printing so that non-image text - such as printing a document or web page - will use your dye black cartridge and dedicated nozzles instead of the pigment black cartridge and its dedicated nozzles.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW.

Ghwellsjr did the heavy lifting. I just mopped up a bit and reinforced what he said.