revive old cartridges from inside out with solution?

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
It just occurred to me, and this is probably either an old or dumb idea with my record, that you could use isopropyl alcohol, or better solution to run through your cartridges just to clean them out like one of those supplement/salt flushes, from inside out. Then just run a bunch of test pages maybe over a couple days however long it takes. Good idea or worst ever?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Why would you want to do that - do you have a problem with one of your cartridges ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
What kind of cartridges do you want to clean, single ink tanks or combined sponge/printhead cartridges? Do you want to clean the sponge(s) or the nozzles in combined cartridges? Brand and type number of the cartridges? Some cleaning is possible, but don't use pure isopropyl alcohol. Instead use a window cleaner with ammonia or pharmacist's cleaning solution.

I have had luck reviving bone dry combined sponge/printhead cartridges, both black and tri-colour by cleaning the sponge(s) and the printhead. But my success rate is not 100%, maybe around 50%. See this post. Also see posts number 15, 17, 18 and 19 from the same thread.

Last edited: