Review of the new Canon Pixma MG6350

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Looks a lot narrower than say a PG520 PGBK. Ink capacity will be a lot less?

I think those thinking of or requiring a New Printer could do with a list of models which have reasonably easy refillable carts. Otherwise if this trend continues it will put a lot of people attempting to refill.

The keen types like a lot of Forum members will keep trying to surmount the refilling difficulties, but the less well skilled may feel not worth the risk and stick to OEM or compatible if available.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Looks a lot narrower than say a PG520 PGBK. Ink capacity will be a lot less? for text printing

I think those thinking of or requiring a New Printer could do with a list of models which have reasonably easy refillable carts. Otherwise if this trend continues it will put a lot of people attempting to refill.

The keen types like a lot of Forum members will keep trying to surmount the refilling difficulties, but the less well skilled may feel not worth the risk and stick to OEM or compatible if available.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat wrote:

So much for thinking that Canon wouldnt redesign the cartridge for such a low end printer.. :th
I think Canon's logic is: The more mundane printers will be sold in much larger numbers than the high end photo printers, so it is more important to protect the more common cartridges against both hobbyist and commercial refillers.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
barfl2 wrote:

Looks a lot narrower than say a PG520 PGBK. Ink capacity will be a lot less? for text printing
The cartridge both Tudor and I linked to is the dye CLI-551. You find a picture of the much wider pigment PGI-550 which has approximately twice the capacity of the dye cartridges here: http://www3.canon.de/pro/ver/tinte_cci/pgi550/foto_pgi550/$f/PGI_550_PGBK.jpg

For capacities of these new cartridges both standard and XL see this thread: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8120

barfl2 wrote:

A list of more refill friendly printers and the cartridge set they use would be nice to have, but it would be quite a task to compile such a list. Anyone willing to make the list?

barfl2 wrote:

Discouraging the printer owners from refilling is exactly what the Canon and other printer manufacturers want to do. I think that these new cartridges, at least the XL versions will be no more difficult to refill than the opaque PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges, which require refilling by weight or topfilling and checking the ink level with a dipstick. The biggest obstacle for the present is the lack of a resetter, but hopefully one will be available within a year.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Sorry PeterBj you are quite right I was looking at The Hats photo and because it was marked BK not Photoblack wrongly assumed it was a smaller pigment ink cart.

I would like an A3 Printer. cannot afford the latest models but I had a vague idea that the older Pro.9000 models had CLI-8 carts which are extremely easy to refill.