Resetting the ink levels on an HP PSC printer

mhannon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I recently refilled the black ink cartridge on my HP PSC 2355 printer but the ink level stayed at the low level it was at before the refill. I found a tutorial for a different HP cartridge that involved a complicated sequence of applying tape to various contacts on the back to fool the printer into re-initializing the ink level. The contacts on the back of my black cartridge are different from the example that was used in the tut.

I have an example of the contacts on the C8765W cartridge used in my printer below. Does anyone know a way reset the ink level in this cartridge?

cartridgeChip.jpg

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
My HP 5550 also calculates the ink levels from the ink usage. The printer is apparently able to read some sort of identifier from the cartridge, and it remembers the ink levels of the last two carts installed an either position. Fortunately, I have 3 sets of carts that I refill and rotate in sequence. When the printer sees a different cart from the last 2, it assumes that it is new and resets the ink levels to "full". This obviously won't be much help if you only have one or two carts or if your printer has a different reset sequence.

mhannon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Grandad35,

It sounds like the trick is to have enough cartridges in rotation that the printer "forgets" that the current cartridge was from 3 times back. I'll have to try it.

azlew

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
mhannon,

Would you mind sharing the URL for the HP tutorial on fooling the printer into resetting it's ink levels?

Thank you,
Azlew

mhannon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
azlew,

Apparently there are only a few HP cartridges this hack will work on. There may in fact be a way to do this on my PSC printer but I have yet to find a step-by-step tutorial. If the cartridges in the tutorial are the ones you use then maybe you will find it helpful.