resetting canon CLI-8 CARTRIDGES

mitch1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi does anybody have a solution on how to bypass the chip on the new canon cartridges.
Regards Mitchell

zakezuke

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mitch1 said:
Hi does anybody have a solution on how to bypass the chip on the new canon cartridges.
Regards Mitchell
There is little data abut the subject. If you are refilling and have chips already... from what i'm told you'll get three warnings that the cartridge is empty and a final "continue at your own risk" type message.

Now... I read somewhere else that someone accidently set their ip4200 as a japanese printer which resulted in the printer asking for BCI-7s. BCI-7s I think are just like the BCI-6 in shape and design except the OEM is the Chromalife 100 ink. Keep in mind I have no experence in the subject, just presenting information if you want to experiment.

-----------------
Make sure printer is off and is plugged in
-Hold down [RESUME] (Triangle pointed down) hold down [POWER] and wait.
-Release [RESUME] but Continue to hold [POWER]. Double click [RESUME]. Release [POWER].
-Check to see you are in service mode by clicking [RESUME], than [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK in red for the last line, whether the printer is set to US or not. pressing [RESUME] twice then [POWER] will print the ROM info. Note the color of iPxxx (LTR) V1.xx. Non-CDR support should be cyan. Keep this sheet to compare to the one after the you change the settings.
-Click the [RESUME] 5 times then click [POWER]. This is the Destination setting option. [orange]

---
1 time JPN (cyan)
2 times KOR (cyan)
3 times US (cyan)
4 times EUR (cyan)
5 times AUS (cyan)
6 times ASI (cyan)
7 times CHN (cyan)
8 times TIW (cyan)
9 times JPN (pink)
(I determined this from trial and error and not from a service manual. Pressing Resume more than 9 times still gave you JPN (pink). Note that this is very different from the Destination Settings for the ip4000.) - rcaldjr2. steves forums
---
Press power to resume normal operation.
-----------------

It's my belief, not owning a iP4200 mind you, that setting the printer for one of these japanese modes will set the printer to BCI-7s rather than CLI-8s resulting in the ability to use chipless tanks, assuming this is an issue. I don't know what secondary effects this change will have, but you can always change it back if you don't like it.