RESETTERS for CANON MP560

gepp

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Good Day to You,
Has any one out there had any helpful experience with resetters
particularly with use with changing CLI 520 and PGI UK Cartridges TO CLI 221 USA
catridges.
I gather some are hit and miss, I would be most grateful for anyones
personal use of a make and availability.

REGARDS

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
gepp said:
Good Day to You,
Has any one out there had any helpful experience with resetters
particularly with use with changing CLI 520 and PGI UK Cartridges TO CLI 221 USA
catridges.
I gather some are hit and miss, I would be most grateful for anyones
personal use of a make and availability.

REGARDS
You can pick one of them up in Octoinkjet for the American CLI-221 chips here:-
http://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/Refill-Tools{47}Kits/Chip-Resetters/

gepp

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The Hat

Yes I Know you can but I spoke to the guy there on Friday an he
warned me that they are only 90% sure of working, sometimes they just don't work
and I can't afford to drop any more clangers having dropped a big one not knowing how
Canon went about their method of earning money out of their customers.
I did as he suggested ask what I have asked in the forum, incase anyone has found another
make resetter or has doctored the standard one

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What are you trying to do exactly..?
Are you attempting to convert a 221 chip over to a 521 chip using a 521 chip resetter?

Here is a post dealing with exactly the same problem youre having and a way to solve it
(Top of page) again its not guaranteed to work.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=46485#p46485

Why bother converting at all, just use a 521 chip resetter on your current set cartridges and chip.

The only other thing you could try was my first original suggestion and it was to run a service tool
which would convert you printer over to a European model..

gepp

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The Hat,
What I have is a MP560 US Machine I don't know what I need ,all I want is to maKE IT PRINT,
I didn't know any thing about all these Chips and things I just went and bought a set of 521
cartridges and it would not print thenI found about all this 221 etc.
I was told by Canon in the UK to put it in the nearst skip and by a new printer for 60 the way
I'm going I wish I had, but I cant do that now I have got in deeper now.
I'm Open to suggestions whats this Service tool all about?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
gepp said:
The Hat,
What I have is a MP560 US Machine I don't know what I need ,all I want is to maKE IT PRINT,
I didn't know any thing about all these Chips and things I just went and bought a set of 521
cartridges and it would not print thenI found about all this 221 etc.
I was told by Canon in the UK to put it in the nearst skip and by a new printer for 60 the way
I'm going I wish I had, but I cant do that now I have got in deeper now.
I'm Open to suggestions whats this Service tool all about?
Heres how to get back to printing straight away without any further costs.

Take the chips from your old US carts one at a time and place them on the corresponding
European carts (Correct Colour) and just pop them into your printer again.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

If you get an out of ink notice then hold in the resume button (Orange Flashing) for five seconds,
wait a minute and then you can resume printing OK.. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think we are going round in circles. Maybe it will help if I try to explain in other words?

Your (unmodified) American model MP560 needs PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges to work, so hopefully you have kept the empty PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges. These cartridges can be reset using a resetter for PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges. A such resetter (original Redsetter) is available from Octoinkjet UK.

A such resetter may be able to convert your European PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges into American PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges. If this works, everything is fine. If it doesn't then you can swap your reset PGI-220/CLI-221 chips from the empty American cartridges to your new European cartridges. That way the European cartridges are turned into American cartridges, which will be accepted by the printer. Instruction in chip swapping here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631 . As the chips among other things are coded for color, you should only change one chip at a time to avoid chips getting attached to wrong cartridges.

If the resetter cannot change the "nationality" of the European chips and you haven't kept the empty American cartridges, then a set of cleaned, ready to use, empty American cartridges are available here: http://www.precisioncolors.com/c5ccart.html . This seller ships worldwide. You could also search Ebay and Amazon for "virgin empty" PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges.

I strongly advise against messing with service mode operations to change the region of your printer. I think that you may not even get the printer to enter service mode without a working set of American cartridges. Also errors made in service mode may cause problems or even render your printer inoperative. Also as I haven't tested it, as I own no American version Canon printers, I cannot guarantee that a region change will make your printer accept European cartridges.

But if you really want to know, information about service mode tools required for service mode operations for your printer is found here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7416 . For en explanation about how to enter service mode on your printer I recommend that you acquire the service manual. I did a Google search and found no free downloads, but a service manual can be bought here: http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?products_id=1255 . I think the MP560 is similar to the MP540 I used for testing, so maybe the procedure I described will also work for your printer.

I strongly advise trying the resetter approach before even considering service mode operations.

Edit: I see The Hat posted while I was writing this. Like The Hat recommended in an earlier post, I also recommend buying a resetter. Resetting the cartridges is much better than disabling ink monitoring.

gepp

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi PeterBJ & The Hat,
I'm glad you did butt in as I was on the verge of asking for full instructions for this Servuce tool convertion,
as I have over the last few weeks bought 4 521 packs of cartridges which would mean I would be able
to use those with doing the ST, then ,now it sounds doubtful if that works.
I had a look this evening and I only have 3 x221 cartridges I must of got rid of the others asat the time i thought there was no problem with all this different numbered cartridges I have BK 221-M -221> Y -221.

I think from all this info I have the way to go without any problems is to buy a complete set of 221 &220,
use those for now, then before they run out, decide what I'm going to do, I may well want a better model canon or indeed a different make.

I just had a thought does anyone know if there are guys around who do this Service tool conversion, that way I could use all my 521 Cartridges
and hope that would be the end of it.

gepp

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Printers.
Well I happen to be wandering around Amazon this morning early and found
a full set of Cartridges for my my Canon MP560 there are 221 and 220 $14.plus post Can someone confirm that I should be able to refill these cartridgs when they run out
How long should I hope to expect refilling them before having to renew
Will I need a resetter at this moment of time

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the price is for a complete set of cartridges, I suspect they are not made by Canon but are third party cartridges AKA compatible cartridges.

Some third party cartridges work well, others will cause a lot of trouble with leaking and/or ink starvation. Also the chips may be of the single use variety which are not resettable. Even those third party cartridges that work well should not be refilled. You risk problems with ink starvation ruining your printhead. Some of the cheap third party cartridges even come without a chip. You need to attach a proper Canon chip to the cartridge. In that case the cartridge set will be of no help for getting the printer going again.

Could you post a link for this offer? Then we could tell you if it is a bargain or not.

To get printing again I think your best option is to buy the original Canon cartridges from Precision Colors, that are cleaned and prepared for the topfilling refill method. You can swap the chips from these cartridges to your new European cartridges so they are not wasted.

When you have used up the European cartridges you could start refilling. The cleaned cartridge set is already prepared for refilling and the empty European cartridges can also be refilled.

Remember to keep the orange clips and reattach them to the cartridges with rubber bands, when they are empty. This protects them against drying out and you can later refill them without the need for purging them.

You can disable ink monitoring and use cartridges with the American chips attached, but I strongly advise the use of the proper PGI-220/Cli-221 resetter. I think you need to reset the chips on the cleaned cartridges before use. With reset chips the ink monitoring is active and you don't risk printing with empty cartridges which could ruin your printhead. In my opinion a proper type of resetter is a "must have" for a refiller.

Considering what you have already spent on new Canon cartridges, I don't think a resetter is that expensive. I recommend buying one and try if it can change your American cartridges into European cartridges and get your printer working again. If this works you don't need to import American cartridges.

Another important thing: Don't leave your printhead with cartridges missing, for longer periods of time. This could lead to problems with clogged nozzles due to ink drying in the printhead. Even if the European cartridges don't print they could be used to protect your printhead until you have got the printer working again.