Reset 100% full waste ink pad full on i9900

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I recently bought a used i9900 with a 2 month old print head on e-bay for $50. The seller stated that it had the dreaded 8 flashes and that he couldn't get it to reset any more. Apparently, when the waste ink counter nears full it is possible to press the resume button and it will continue to print, and this is apparently what the seller had been doing - up until it finally said "no mas".

The tried and true reset procedure (4 presses of the resume button in maintenance mode) was tried several times without success. It was then remembered that there was an old post (maybe even by Neil Slade) that said that sometimes it is necessary to first remove the print head to get the counter to reset. Voila!

The print head had numerous clogged individual nozzles from disuse, but 15 minutes of various cleaning methods soon had the missing nozzle count down to under a dozen. Letting the printer sit overnight fixed about half of those. I'm confident that all of them will come back to life with further use. After the ink pad is cleaned, I'll have a "good as new" 8 color printer that uses the easily refilled BCI-6 carts.

BTW - the cleaning cycles after removing and reinstalling the print head 3 times already has the counter up to 0.69% full - just a note on how much ink is used to purge after a print head change.