replacing a Canon MP530..recomendations?

BNDAZ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After many years of refilling and resetting the cartridges on an old Canon MP530 it finally gave up the ghost today, it worked fine one minute and then was giving me a check cartridge U052 error. i changed out the head with another that i had, same error cleaned everything, so on..
Anyway time for a new multifunction scan/print/fax.
I had it in my mind i was going to go with a brother model because i had purchased one for my mom about a year back to which you could buy cheap replacement ink. Additionally i understood then that brothers didn't need or use chips on their cartridges, maybe that was model specific.

So i am looking for recommendations for manufacturer for a multifunction, and like many my biggest concern is ink cost, i wont print photos for any reason of importance so that aspect is irrelevant.

I am looking for ease of refilling and or low cost replacement of ink and longevity of the unit. I tend to print in batches with longer periods of inactivity. mostly B/W some color, scan and fax is required.

Recommendations?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just a thought but you could simply get a new printhead for your MP530 and resurrect the beast.

IMHO the newer printers aren't all that great compared to the older versions and if you're already happy with refilling, etc.. then there's no learning curve to worry about.

If you go that route though I would get fresh inks (in case your original inks are past their due - ie: developing algae) and definitely flush out or replace the cartridges so you're not using inks/carts that effectively strangled the original head.

As to other options... The new brother printers have chips now, or so I believe although word is that there's a resetter or something if I read that right somewhere. Doubtless there's older models out there as refurbs though so perhaps time for some digging.

Hope that's of some use either way.