Replacement for my ilfated Canon i960 ???

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For starters, I have always loved my i960. I probably did a few thousand full color 8 1/2 x 11's on the thing. But the more I try to get my print head "permanently" unclogged, the more I doubt its going to happen. And I really can't see spending $100 on a print head (for an old printer, which will likely have other failing parts soon to follow).

So then, which Canon printer is the straight across replacement for the i960 ? One of the IP series, correct ? Also, just to confirm.... it does use the same BCI-6 carts that my i960 did, right ? Reason being, I still have about 20 of them over here.

What should I expect to pay for this printer ? ....online, vs. walking in to a local store ?

Will do some surfing now, but would like your thoughts and advice here, as well.

Thank you,
Fish

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Urgggg !!!

I was just checking out Canons new line up, and I can't find "any" 6 color "all dye based" ink printers ??? I'm seeing a whole bunch of 4 dye + 1 pigment (blk) types. And maybe it's just my fear of the unknown, but none of those sound like good choices to me.

I thought surely I had seen in the past, a Canon 6 color dye based ink printer, that I could replace my i960 with. Was I just daydreaming ? .....wishful thinking ?

Going to see if I can track down an old (but brand new) i960 now.......

Fish

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think this is what you are looking for :)

By the way. I found an offer for the 6210D printer at newegg priced at 70-30 (mail rebate) dollars. Do they really mean that a modern 6 color printer costs $40 ? What's the catch ?

Also... take a look at this image (links to a set of images:

does that mean this printer offers access to the cartridges via a non-traditional way? And maybe the waste pads?

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you very much Panos. Yes, I think this would be it...... but geez, this thing is so cheap, I almost wouldn't mind spending a few more $$$ for a slightly upgraded version (not sure what upgrades I really need ?)

Why can't I find the printer you linked to, included in a list of lesser, and greater Canon printers ? The only lineup I saw, (the lineup that included the ip4000) had a whole bunch of 4 color + 1 pigment type of printers ? Is this a current model ?

I will have to do more research on this tonight after work.

Thanks so much again,
Peace,
Fish

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes Chris, I think it's a modern model. From the looks, it seems Canon wanted to make a replacement for the very successful i960. Considering that the new cartridges scare new users from refilling, it is very possible that Canon follows the HP example of giving away printers and charging for the cartridges. Also this version comes without color displays. And without a USB cable. And bluetooth is optional. But who cares?

I just started feeling the need for a photo printer! :)

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Fish,
I recently bought a Canon ip6000D from Outpost.com for $100 + shipping. The ip6000D is a six color (C, PC, M, PM, Y & B) BCI-6 dye based printer. It is from the original Pixma line and is being replaced with the newer models. I already had the ip4000 but wanted to get another non-chipped Canon printer while they are still available, since I have recently started refilling cartridges. The newer Canons use chipped cartridges. You can refill them, but have to override the out of ink warnings. Canon then may claim that your printer is out of warranty - maybe or maybe not. Refilling saves SO much money.
I just checked the Outpost.com site and the ip6000D is still listed there. This is a full 1 year warranty new printer, not a refurb with only a 90 day warranty. I got mine in two days to eastern PA - ships from Ohio.

Steve W.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Correction! The 6210D uses the lowly CL-51 and CL-52 cartridges with integrated printheads. Although people have reported that they are quite easy to refill and according to these instructions it is also easy to reset their counteres, I would probably avoid them.

Steve's suggestion is right. The ip6000D is a good choice.

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Panos, Yea'.... I figured that one out, but I am going to go on and buy a Canon IP6000D first thing tomorrow morning, for $99 plus s/h.

That is, unless somebody can tell me where to find a new head for my i960 for $50 or less. I might consider an aftermarket one, if it had been tested extensively, and produced factory results..... but this is probably just wishful thinking, huh ?

Peace,
Fish