Remanufactured Shelf Life

CartSol

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the shelf life of a remanufactured inkjet? I am plannig a retail store and would like to include that info in my business plan.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Since no one else has jumped on to help you, I will venture a reply.

First of all, I assume you mean the shelf life of a remanufactured inkjet cartridge.--not a remanufactured inkjet printer.

Since remanufactured cartridge implies a cartridge with the printhead on the cartridge itself because non-oem cartridges of the Canon / epson type are usually new inktanks.

In terms of OEM new cartridges of either type, the usual recommendation is two yearss shelf life and six months after opened and installed in the printer.

But for remanufactured cartridges with the printhead on the cartridge, that will widely vary from remanufacturer to remanufacturer. The factors will include how carefully the cartridge is cleaned, refilled, and especially tested. If the previous user burned out the printhead on the cartridge itself, no amount of remanufacture care will restore it.

So the test becomes will the remanufacter stand behind their products--months or years later? Who eats shipping and does the remanufacturer carefully test each and every cartridge for a damaged printhead before shipping.--or simply test to see a remanufactured cartridge spews out some ink? As well as having decent quality ink with acceptable color balance.

For the buyer of such a remanufactured cartridge its all about saving money over OEM. Wasting money on dud cartridges drastically alters the savings. From what I can see commercial remanufactured cartridges of the HP Lexmark type seldom save the user more than 50%. -------vs. Canon Epson non oem new cartridges that can offer savings as high as 85-90%.

So either the remanufacturer itself or the jobber ( you ) is going to have to do a reasonable job of standing behind the product to maintain a customer base on an almost no questions asked basis.

But I see no reason that a carefully remanufacturer would have less than the two years shelf life of OEM. Other might know more and prove me wrong.