Refilling

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Technically they could all be described as one subject...:lol:
I think we should chat about the birds and bees. Good grief, it's a wonder the Irish didn't fade away like the Shakers. Known for their fine furniture, the Shakers relied on converts instead of procreation. You might guess why there's only an historical center in Shaker Heights, Ohio to remember them by.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I think I summed up Xavier Hollander nicely, too! :D
I must have lived a very sheltered life, because I had to look Ms. Hollander up to find out who she was, Hmm, A very popular girl by the sounds of it...:hugs :ep

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
all good info here. nice to see some healthy refilling discussion going on.

i've been refilling for nearly 10 years, German method, over 1300 refills, primarily on MP830s that i stockpiled. have several MP830s that i use as parts machines when needed.

MP830's are in the same PGI5/CLI8 family that the IP4500 is in, build quality is way up there. i've had my share of print heads go over 10 years, they often need replacing way before the printer does.

there are two other items not mentioned so far that i do, not sure if they help longevity, but thought i'd share:

1. turn QUIET MODE on, prints quieter and slower. theory benign is that the print head does not work as fast or as hot. ink flow helps to cool the print head.

2. i only use one set of ink carts. when one gets low, i pull/reset/refill them all and put back in. theory being that the ink in the ink cart never sits too long like in the case of a re-filled hot spare.

again no evidence that this helps, just sharing what works for me.

J

oh, i have a brand new IP4500, that is waiting in line for my MP830s to stop working

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
i started keeping track of the refill numbers for fun, mainly to see when i recoup my initial refill expenses. that didn't take long....

the lack of available MP830 print heads will eventually stop my MP830 refill train from chugging along.

the PGI5/CLI8 ink carts are pretty robust as well. i had one PGI5 that i refilled 89 times before it stated streaking, i thought that was decent.

my current PGI5 has been amazing, as of last refill i have refilled it 228 times. never purged, never cleaned, since i just use one set of ink carts it is in constant use, so that may have helped it's longevity.

so for now i'm still, riding that MP830 train, what a long strange trip it's been.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
never purged, never cleaned, since i just use one set of ink carts
That's the way I roll as well with my MP830. :D

I do not print anywhere nearo as much as you and have not kept track of the number of refills on the cartridges, but I figure I broke even years ago and Canon is now paying me to use their printer. :woot

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@jimbo123, You have earned the title of undisputed King of Refillers...:thumbsup
Jimbo is the Muhammad Ali of Refillers - the greatest of all times. Canon never saw it coming.

p03l16d7.jpg