Refilling

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I've been refilling carts since the days of the IP4000 and have used the "German" method to refill OEM carts and saved upteen amounts of cash, so I've no real complaints about the refilling method I have used.

However, during this time I have "lost" several print heads, mainly due to clogging but Canon print heads are not exactly robust and have lost 3 just by turning them on after not using them for a while. Still one good refill pays for a new printer.

In the past year I have been printing from an IP7200 and have been using ARC carts, without a problem. The only downside is that you can only refill each cart when it shows empty so you can't refill other carts at the same time.

Now refilling these carts is easy. You just remove the plug and refill from the top and replace the plug when the cart is full.

Now this is only my opinion and is not based on fact, but I wonder if we have become more obsessed with ink quality rather than ink refilling methods.

Is top re-filling the secret of print head longevity and should we accept that aftermarket ink is less important? I just wonder if the German method may produce air locks in some cases and could cause some print head failures.

"Quid pro quo" Everyone gains from refilling but does top refilling extend print head life?

Personally I will stick to using OCP ink or ink from Octoinkjet (Great site on this forum)

I have now brought into service my last remaining IP 4500 (The Great) using ARC carts. It's too precious to continue with the German method and refilling OEM carts. I may be proved wrong but I'm going with it.

Please remember that this is only my humble opinion and others with greater experience may have a different opinions.

In the end, whatever refilling process you prefer will save you. Remember, one refill will pay for a new printer.

Refilling isn't dead, we just need to adjust the methods.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The method of refilling the IP4500 cartridges is a matter of opinion. Print head malfunctions can occur no matter the refilling method. More than refilling technique - the ability to reasonably perform that method consistently and appropriately - can create conditions for print head problems.

General rules of thumb on the forum to maintain good print head function may include:

1) Use Canon OEM cartridges for most predictable, durable and consistent results. Build quality is the best.

2) A chip resetter is generally preferred over ARC chips since it is more likely to mimic OEM ink level monitoring while maintaining the ability to top off all cartridges at the same time if so desired.

3) Mikling encourages that the cartridge be refilled before there is no ink in the spongeless side AND ink levels in the sponged side begin drop. The theory is that is if the sponge does not have its full complement of ink bathing it then residual ink in the sponge begins to dry and ink flow through or out of the sponge into the print head will become compromised over time (several refills) and ink starvation can occur potentially causing burned nozzles.

4) Print something that uses all ink cartridges, such as a nozzle check, every week or so to prevent clogs or other ink flow issues. (See #8)

5) Stop all printing immediately once you notice a printing problem. Only print nozzle checks until ink flow returns unless you are sure of what you are doing or have plenty of money to buy new print heads. Ask questions in the forum if unsure how to attempt a remedy, such as a cleaning cycle, cartridge flush and refill, print head flush and soak, etc.

6) If a printing issue occurs during warranty then call Canon Tech Support. Best to start a paper trail now than sweat once you're out of warranty and Canon won't help. Also, Canon will not help if you say you refill or send the printer in for service with anything other than pristine OEM cartridges.

7) Use quality inks. Cheap inks may cause problems such as clogging or even burned nozzles (postulated as cause for Pigment Black malfunctions) Also, store the ink in a cool dry place away from sunlight. Do not use if opened longer than 2 years, appears thicker than recalled, or has foreign matter in it (fungus, bacteria, stuff).

8) The print head's best friend is PRINTING! Not that you should work it like a rented mule. More like The Happy Hooker Xavier Hollander, working frequently and lovingly to remain in tip top condition. Idle hands may be the devil's workshop but an idle printer is the print head's enemy.

I'll end there. I am sure others can add more. For some reason I feel a sudden desire to hug my printer. :love

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have now brought into service my last remaining IP 4500 (The Great) using ARC carts. It's too precious to continue with the German method and refilling OEM carts. I may be proved wrong but I'm going with it.
So, you are another converter to the top fill method, welcome brother, in my opinion it’s the best method, but I’ll get a good an argument from @stratman on that issue.

Now you’ve started to use probably one of the very best printers that Canon ever made and you should tend it like it was royalty, you have heard this before but PLEASE don’t use compatible carts on this great printer, its pure blasphemy.

Use only OEM CLI-8 carts and either pull the refill ball out and get grommets from OctoInkjet to fit the hole or drill a 2mm hole just down from the re-fill ball and hot glue that hole to re-seal it.

Using a resetter is essential for these carts and if you PM me with your address I will send you a brand new unused resetter for nothing, I have it spare and you might as well make good use of it to protect that marvellous printer.

I have an iP4500 since 2007 with 54,000 on the head and I will miss it dearly when it goes, I’ve got a Maxify to replace it, but it still refuses to die, so threat it kindly and it will still be there printing for you in 2027 easily...

Please remember that 99% of all ink problems like (Clogs) but aren’t, are caused by the cartridges failure to deliver enough ink when called for...
Very good luck with your new Printer, it’s a real classic... :love

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I purposely avoided this topic. There are four things one shouldn't discuss in mixed company - politics, religion, women and refill method!
Technically they could all be described as one subject...:lol:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I purposely avoided this topic. There are four things one shouldn't discuss in mixed company - politics, religion, women and refill method! :old

I was going to reply to this as I like to break rules - but out of respect for @The Hat whos does an oustanding job here I will refrain.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I think I summed up Xavier Hollander nicely, too! :D

Had to check that your reference was what I thought it was, and it was.

Hopefully your name and address was not in her little black book. ;)

rs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hopefully your name and address was not in her little black book. ;)
Not a chance! Besides, I was young and broke. :( But everybody knew her name and the gist of her story.