Refilling vindication!

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon disclaimer #3 about their 100+ year age rating.

3. Based on accelerated testing by Canon in dark storage under controlled temperature, humidity and gas conditions, simulating storage in an album with plastic sleeves. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints; results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage conditions, and environmental factors. See www.usa.canon.com/chromalife100plus for additional details.

So the photo printed is locked away in the dark in a plastic sleeve humidity, temperature and gas controlled environments. I think any print will last 100 years in those posh conditions. All you need really is an acid free paper and decent inkset. This leaves me to believe canon's dyes are no better really than everyone else's quality refills. I mean even stratitec claims their ink is "archival". I've done my own sun fade tests and canon pictures seem to fade just as fast in sunlight as stratitec, this is canon paper for both prints. They both lasted about 6 months in direct sunlight before the picture degraded to the point of looking like well an old photo. And they both faded just about equally. I also did one on cheapy meritline gloss paper, prints initially looked ok but faded in 2 weeks of direct sunlight both canon and stratitec faded equally fast. It seems paper has a bigger influence on print life than ink to me. So much for third party inks having shorter print life eh?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Gee.........Canon having to rationalize something about one of their products........Who'd have thunk it!!!??