refilling the mp990 and newer smaller cartridges

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
after reading mikling's explanation of the cleaning cycles in the newer printers i have decided that when 1 cartridge is low, i will replace all cartridges at the same time as this will reduce the number of times the lid is opened, mikling's explanation makes a lot of sense and who cares if a couple cartridges are only half empty, you put in your backup set of cartridges and refill, reset the cartridges that were removed, this should reduce the number of purge and cleaning cycles, i hope.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is the best way to waste less ink AND extend the service life of the printer as well as having less interruptions during a print job. A complete backup set of refilled cartridges is the best way to go.

Now if the pigment one is empty before the other dye ones are even half empty, AND you don't have plans on printing with the dye inks a lot, then just change the pigment one alone and wait for the next changeout of the pigment for the complete changeout. This only saves work and does not offer any other benefits over a complete changeout.

Just remember that the prime cycle will always be initiated if the cover is previously opened, printer has been inactive for an extended period (I think 24hrs it is specified in the service manual) , or has had the power removed like a power bar or timer.

If you don't mind the few watts that the printer will consume in standby mode, then that is possibly the way to go. The greenies might argue the waste of energy but one must also consider the waste that would occur if the printer ends the service life early and must be disposed. In the winter, the extra watts keeps the room warm so it is not wasted.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mikling:

Thanks for this info, I had been looking for it and here it is. I just purchased 2 of the MP990 machines and I'm really enjoying the output, and the ease of top filling with the SquEasyFill bottles and caps. I enjoyed your discussion on creating a dedicated BW printer since I may be printing a bit of black and white text and photo documents soon (I hope). I believe you had said you do not have an BW inkset yet for the MP990, right? I'll be anxious to hear about that when it comes.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
mikling:

I never turn my MP760 off and this M/C does not seem to have excessive cleaning cycles. With a previous HP with the newer 364 Carts, I did change the entire colour set if 0ne ran out. This machine carried out as you suggested a cleaning cycle ever time a single cart was changed. As the standard 364 carts hold so little ink the cost was horrendous.

I have found with the MP760 if I change a cart which is say showing 2 bars left the NEW one also only shows 2 bars and not full, which is a bit disconcerting so I have only changed 1 at a time.

Also there have been suggestions on refilling, particularly with the German method that if the cart is not completely empty, problems can arise, I have experienced this myself. I usually pull a Cart when advised it is low, but I assume there is still a fair amount left in the sponge. But I do this to protect my Printhead which might be difficult to replace.

Thank you for your post which are always of interest

barfl2

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
On the older Canon printers, like the MP760, that do not have chips in their cartridges, the level sensor can be reset by installing a cartridge with the reservoir empty, closing the cover for about ten seconds, and then putting back your refilled cartridge.

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
inkadinkado said:
Mikling:

Thanks for this info, I had been looking for it and here it is. I just purchased 2 of the MP990 machines and I'm really enjoying the output, and the ease of top filling with the SquEasyFill bottles and caps. I enjoyed your discussion on creating a dedicated BW printer since I may be printing a bit of black and white text and photo documents soon (I hope). I believe you had said you do not have an BW inkset yet for the MP990, right? I'll be anxious to hear about that when it comes.
I bought several of these as well- but haven't had to refill yet...

Did you have any issue with clearance with your top fill plugs?

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lowepg

I had no issure with the top clearance because I use the "low profile" (flat) plugs from Octoinkjet. They are great. I have some of the lipped plugs but have had such good success with the low profiles that I just haven't tried them yet to check the clearance.

I also used about a 1" strip of orange electricians tape over the plug just for insurance. I like the bright orange because it color codes the refilled carts from the others since I had bought 30 OEM virgin carts from Ebay and store them all in the same container. It has turned out to be a REALLY good deal. FYI: I purchased an entire refill kit from Octoinkjet (UK & shipping is not exhorbitant) and it is really easy to use with the SquEasyFill bottles, caps, and needles. The ink is good, too. No clog issues and it prints beautifully. Martin is a prince and has helped me all along the way. Very knowledgeable.