Refilling PRO-100 revisited

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I’ve not been re-filling for a while, work and family have been taking up my time and those photos I have been printing on my PRO-100 have been for paying clients so I’ve been using OE Canon inks. The printer has proved faultless and the quality superb during the two years I’ve had it but I’ve now retired so I’m returning ‘to the fold’.

Although I’ve been absent I’ve nonetheless dipped into the forum now and again and I’m aware of the ‘yellow-jello’ problem so I’ll almost certainly use a re-chipped CLI-8 cartridge for the CLI-42 yellow but, while waiting for my refill kit to arrive, I thought I’d have a go at cleaning one of my old CLI-42 yellow cartridges to see how hard it was and I had an interesting result.

The first one I tried to clean with water and Fairy Liquid, then Lidl’s own brand window and glass cleaner and eventually it looks almost clean but there are still hints of yellow.

So I tried again with another cartridge but, this time, I didn’t let any water near the cartridge at first. Initially I sucked out, then blew out, as much of the yellow ink as I could using a 60ml syringe and Websnail’s adaptor then, using the adaptor and syringe again, I now forced through some Lidl glass cleaner. As I did so I pushed and pulled on the syringe plunger a few times to agitate the mix. I then repeated the process and pretty soon there was no trace of any yellow. The speed at which this occurred was almost certainly enhanced by the fact that I’d not yet taken the ball out of the reservoir so all the cleaning fluid was being forced through the sponges. I then removed the ball, carefully cleaned the still yellow-stained entry hole with a glass-cleaner soaked cotton bud, then rinsed the cartridge with tap water, then distilled water, and, finally, Pharmacist's conditioning solution. I can’t see any trace of yellow but you can judge for yourself. I’m not sure if I’ll use this or just keep it as a reference.

By the way, I bought the PRO-100 after the third printer head in my PRO-1000 MkII failed. Each time it was possible to identify the failure as having occurred as a result of a blockage in the magenta section and I know there was some discussion in this forum as to this not being coincidence. Are there currently any known problems with non-OE magenta, or light magenta, inks in the PRO-100?

Attachments

• Composite.jpg
    Composite.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 276
  • _MG_0531_1.jpg
    _MG_0531_1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 303
  • _MG_0532_1.jpg
    _MG_0532_1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 278
  • _MG_0533_1.jpg
    _MG_0533_1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 256

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@paulcroft, nice job with the cleaning, it will be ok to use the yellow cart once again, and there has been no reports or difficulty mentioned with any of the magenta CLI-42 inks...

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Are there currently any known problems with non-OE magenta, or light magenta, inks in the PRO-100?

My experience with the Pro100 has been very good.

Now 3 years old and over 3,000 prints. - Still using original head.

Use Precision Colors inkset and follow Jose Rodroiguez YouTube videos to the letter for maintenance and workflow.

Interestingly no problems with M or PM. Am using the newer version of the inkset which changed the magentas. Colours very close to OEM - but not exact. For colour critical work use custom profiles.

Had one minor glitch couple of years ago when after a month away the cyan nozzle check was not 100%. Did I mention I am paranoid, and print the nozzle checks on coated glossy stock and examine under a loupe. Superficially looked cloudy and I had a nagging sense of it not being correct. Based on close comparison with previous clean nozzle checks. Have tried to minimize deep cleaning to prevent filling waste pads, but risked two deep cleans which still did not help.
In desperation left the print-head on Windex soaked pad for 24 hours after which all was good. - Grateful thanks to the "Printer Gods".

YMMV

rs

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
@The Hat
>> nice job with the cleaning, it will be ok to use the yellow cart once again, and there has been no reports or difficulty mentioned with any of the magenta CLI-42 inks... <<

Good news on both fronts then, thanks The Hat.

@rs
>>
My experience with the Pro100 has been very good.

Now 3 years old and over 3,000 prints. - Still using original head.<<

My experience thus far confirms this, it's a terrific printer.

>> Use Precision Colors inkset and follow Jose Rodroiguez YouTube videos to the letter for maintenance and workflow. <<

That's the inkset I've ordered and Jose's YouTube videos are definitely required viewing for all those who 'self-fill'.

>> Interestingly no problems with M or PM. Am using the newer version of the inkset which changed the magentas. Colours very close to OEM - but not exact. For colour critical work use custom profiles. <<

Really good news about the magentas and, as for colour printing, I've been making my own profiles for years. This printer and my ColorMunki-produced profiles give me first-class fidelity.

Paul