refilling lexmark 16

dan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
is anyone here experienced with refilling the lexmark 16 cartridges?
I used nozzle-rocket and hot water, and the sonic clean machine,,, and then i filled it up with hot water and centrifuged it. Next, I filled it up with ink. It gets a good footprint, but when I print, the black bar has white streaks through it. I used an aspirator on it, used more nozzle rocket, sonic clean, steam cleaned,,, and everytime I test print, I end up with only a partially perfect print, there's always at least a few white lines in it. I'm not ready to call it quits yet, because this happens nearly all the time with other cartridges I've refilled, and it's just trial and error until it finally gets right. But I'm growing weary of spending so much time on it. Any suggestions?

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sounds like you have done everything to clean the head and sponge ok
but maybe a little more effort is needed in priming the cart , you mention footprint?
I assume this dab testing on absobent paper? I would draw out about 2cc of ink
through the head,enlarging the vent hole may help. on hp 56 57 carts I used to
remove and replace the label to refill now I punch through the label and leave the hole open
for venting. But I can't stress enough how important priming is. Oh yes and seal the head
after priming and testing, wouldnt' want any of that pesky air getting back in
Regards

InkDoodle

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dan,

FIRST TRY

How are you filling the cart? I had the exact same problem as you. I used all the same tools as you except for the centrifuge machine.

My steps were soak print head in solution for 3hours. or used ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of seconds

Evacuated all old ink from cart

Refilled Cart - with needle and syringe

Primed cart

Dabed cart on paper towel to see if i get a full stream.

Print Tested

After all of the above was performed I still had streaks in the print head.

SECOND TRY

Second try I performed all the same steps but instead of using a syringe and needle I refilled it using my vacuum chamber filling machine and I didn't even prime the cart I just put it in the ultrasonic cleaner (GemOra) for 3-5 seconds, dabed the cart on the paper towel and then put the cart in the printer to test and it worked %100.