refilling HP CMY ink with RGB

Censored

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I couldn't find it with either the search, faq, or google.

I would like to refill my hp c1823d (#23) tri-color cartridge.

(1) should there be a problem using "conventional" (Parker) ink ? it's much cheaper than even the custom refill packs.
(2) the cartridge is magenta-cyan-yellow but I can only find red blue and green inks. I'm sure it's possible to tell the printer driver to acknowledge that, but how, exactly? should I download some driver-hack, and if so, from where?

Thanks!

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I don't know how important quality of ink is for refilling HP #23 cartridge. I think it is not for photo printers although nothing says you can not print photos. Bulk ink in general is quite cheap. It's better not to use ink that is too cheap.
The ink you need should be syan, magenta and yellow. Cyan may look blue and magenta may look red. But they are CMY not RGB. If the ink you saw was RGB is it really inkjet ink? You should use only inkjet ink.

Censored

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hey,

The ink is regular fountain-pen Parker ink. It costs about $5 for a 57ml bottle here, while the 'custom printer cartridge refill kit' costs about $24 for a 90ml bottle ("Just Refill(TM) universal inkjet ink" - that's the only brand we have here)..

So it would be much cheaper to refill the cartridge with Parker red, blue and green ink than buying the package, but then I would need to somehow patch the print driver to match the colors.

Anyone ever done something like this?

thanks.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Censored,

I wouldn't try it unless you have an old printer that you didn't care about and just want to experiment.
1. Ink for thermal inkjet printers needs to have the correct viscosity and surface tension, as well as being able to withstand being heated to 350 degrees C without clogging the nozzles. The chances of ink designed for pens meeting these requirements is remote.
2. The primary colors for ink are Cyan/Magenta/Yellow. Even if you could change the printer's internal microcode (which isn't available to you), you can't generate the full range of colors using Red/Blue/Green inks. Try to get yellow by combining these 3 colors of inks. Here is a color chart that shows how R/B/G can be combined on a device that CREATES different colors of light (e.g. a computer monitor), as well as how C/M/Y can be combined on a device that ABSORBS different colors of light (e.g. a printer). Mixing Red and Green ink doesn't give yellow like it does on a computer monitor.
ColorCombination.jpg

Your bulk ink proces are much higher than ours - here ink costs about $12 for 240 ml.

Censored

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I see.. I guess I'll have to try and come up with a different solution.
$12/240ml !? maybe I should order overseas :p

Thanks! your reply was very helpful.