refilling epson cartridges rx600

philly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I own a Epson Stylus Photo RX600 and have been trying to find information on how to refill the ink cartridges .I purchase a universal refill kit that advertise that it was for my type of printer but as you can guess, it was not for type of cartridge .The type of cartridge(TO481-482-483-484-485-486)is not included in any of the diagrams or instructions that I've been able to locate on the internet,including the the instructins in the refill kit.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Steve2868

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I develop a vacuum kit to refill for these type of cartridges, I have them refilled w/ great success.

How to refill new Epson cartridges? First you would need 100% compatible (pigment/dye) ink, a knife to cut open a refill hole, a glue gun to reseal the injection hole. (take some technique to seal it right, otherwise ink will leak) Epson chip resetter is needed, a specially modify vacuum syringe is a must for the job.

Any question feel free to email me! Hope this information helps!

philly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Steve .Could you be a little more specific about where I would make injection .I do have a glue gun and the ink is the right type and a small drill to make the hole .Do you know of any diagrams on line for this type of cartridge.AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Steve2868

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here's another way of refilling these type of cartridge introduce by my friend John.

Assuming you have a resetter, reset the chip before you do anything else. There is no sense in doing anything else if the chip don't work.

Turn the cartridge upside down, & look closely, near the ink port, where the mylar seal wraps around the edge, you will see 2 holes through the mylar.

Open the hole nearest the ink port. Inject your ink, & when the cartridge won't take any more, place your finger or thumb over the hole & turn the cartridge upright.

To prime the cartridge, use a tapered plastic tip on the syringe, place the tip in the ink port, pushing open the spring-loaded valve. Draw upwards of 2-4cc ink through the ink port.

Turn the cartridge back upside down & top up the ink. You can re-use any ink you drew out of the cartridge. You might need to do this a couple of times, depending on how "used" the cartridge is.

You really need to make sure you are drawing ink out the port, or the cartridge may not work, it will airlock instead.

Now to seal the cartridge: I use hot melt glue, usually I cut the mylar back a little from the hole so I have good clean dry plastic to seal to. Use an alcohol swab if necessary to clean the plastic. This will work best with the ink filled just to the edge of the plastic "fill hole".

Take your hot melt glue gun & put a circle of glue around the hole. Let it set for a second or 2, but before it sets up, draw another circle around the inside of the first circle of glue. If necessary, put a drop of glue in the middle to bridge over. The ink should keep the glue from dropping in.

When the glue sets, flip the cartridge over & check for leaks.

DON'T PRESS THE GLUE DOWN, YOU WILL FORCE GLUE INTO THE INK CHAMBERS & POSSIBLY PLUG THE CARRTIDGE.

You get your seal by using HOT glue on a clean surface. I hit on the glue seal by fluke, it works well for me, & usually bridges over the hole nicely. I even have had people ask to buy my plugs, but I don't use anything but hot melt glue.

Another thing that works well (I used to do this), for the C80/C82 cartridges, you can drop a HP26A/29A sealing ball on the hole, it won't fall through. Then glue over the ball & seal the ball to the tapered hole in the cartridge.

That also works well. I haven't found anything yet to do the same for the C64/C84 cartridges. There I have to just use the hot melt glue like I described earlier.

Just remember that where you are piling up the glue, actually might have to fit somewhere in the carriage, dont make the glue seal too high in profile.

philly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Steve once again thanks for your input.Earlier this afternoon while looking at the cartridge ,I notice an indentation or line on the side of the cartridge.I figure I had plenty of spare cartridge's ,so with my utility knife I began to score the center line first then just up from the bottom then the top and finally the front edge of the side.Being careful in case there was a lot of ink inside,luckly the one I chose was empty.I pried the edges up and the scored section open up.Inside there is a chamber(the line I scored in the center of the cartridge divides two chamber's,one with a rubber tube out of the the top(front chamber closer to chip side)and another chamber with a sponge with four openings to allow the ink to flow to the outlet. In order to see the injection hole on the outside you have to remove the label on the top of cartridge,there you will notice an opening taped over that leads to the main ink chamber.Can't be any easier.I will take your advice and reset the chip,before loading up with ink.A reminder this is what I found on the cartridge that is used in my EPSON STYLUS PHOTO RX 600.I WILL TRY THIS AND LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS .

philly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Steve are attachments allowed in this forum .If so I will scan the the cartridge to show the two chambers

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just a thought but have you tried using aluminium tape to cover the hole instead of using a glue gun blob...

I used this sort of tape before when I was refilling my Epson 740 printer carts and it worked very well, creating a water/ink tight seal.

Might be useful info anyway...

Latest posts