refilling cli-8pm and some others Cannon Pro 9000II

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I refill all my carts as soon as the printer says they are getting low, but the photo magenta and Cyan, take filling 5 or 6 times, as the cart is in the upright position. It seems the sponge is almost dry, and just keeps filling up. I've gotten in the habit of leaving the needle in and turning the cart right side up until the tank gets 1/2 way down and then turning it back to fill some more. Is the printer using too much ink before it shows low? Only happens on a couple of colors.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, the photo colors are favored by the printer. Since they have about 1/7 of the color intensity as the regular colors, it's a good thing you refill.

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'd definitely go broke if I had to buy new cartridges every time. I have to refill at least one color almost every day thanks to Canons tiny cartridges for this printer. I use the German method, and have 4oz bottles filled with each color, and with caps with needles on every bottle, so refilling is very easy, except for the few colors mentioned above where I have to wait for the sponge to absorb the ink. With the CLI-8PC, the tank will completely empty at least twice when I turn the cart right side up. As stated above, I don't pull the needle out until the sponge quits absorbing the ink. The pain is the printer will often pull the cartridge carrier back before I'm done.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Darth said:
I'd definitely go broke if I had to buy new cartridges every time. I have to refill at least one color almost every day thanks to Canons tiny cartridges for this printer. I use the German method, and have 4oz bottles filled with each color, and with caps with needles on every bottle, so refilling is very easy, except for the few colors mentioned above where I have to wait for the sponge to absorb the ink. With the CLI-8PC, the tank will completely empty at least twice when I turn the cart right side up. As stated above, I don't pull the needle out until the sponge quits absorbing the ink. The pain is the printer will often pull the cartridge carrier back before I'm done.
I am not a German Method refill fan, (Top fill myself) but I could be reading you wrong here and if I am please forgive my ignorance.
When filling using the German method you wouldnt normally try to get the sponge side filled with ink at all you only have to fill the reservoir side.

If the reservoir side of your cart goes empty immediately after filling then I would suggest leaving the needle in the cartridges
for a few minutes and then refill (Top off) the reservoir side again and only then withdraw the needle.

The best practice for refilling is to have two sets of cartridges so your printer
doesnt have to wait for you to refill just the one cartridge to continue to print.

But as you clearly dont have two sets then when you take out the empty cartridge to reset and refill,
just pull the power plug out of the wall till your finished filling the cartridge
and the print head will stay in the middle of the carriageway for you..:)

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
If the reservoir side of your cart goes empty immediately after filling then I would suggest leaving the needle in the cartridges
for a few minutes and then refill (Top off) the reservoir side again and only then withdraw the needle.
That is exactly what I do. My whole point is that I have never had to let the reservoir go down completely before this printer. I was just wondering if it is using more ink before reporting "low".

I guess I should invest in another set of OEM carts.

Anyway thanks for the ideas.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Darth said:
The Hat said:
That is exactly what I do. My whole point is that I have never had to let the reservoir go down completely before this printer. I was just wondering if it is using more ink before reporting "low".

I guess I should invest in another set of OEM carts.

Anyway thanks for the ideas.
Who dont you look into getting empty OEMs instead of going for the expensive new ones ? :)

When you get your second set you then might find that your printer is using less ink, how ?

Well if you change any of the cartridges when one is low the printer will do a clean cycle wasting ink
but if you change several that are nearly but not quite low at the same time then you only get one clean cycle for all of them..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know what causes the behaviour of the photo cartridge, but maybe the sponge has become partially clogged and has lost capacity? Purging the cartridge could then restore it to normal working order.

Also see this instruction by pharmacist, http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2465 , and note the text in the second last image:

"If necessary turn the cartridge back to refill again if a lot of ink is absorbed by the sponge.....", If the sponge is very dry it might be necessary to repeat this process.

I think the idea of getting an extra set of cartridges is a very good one. You can change a cartridge when necessary and continue printing. You can refill the empty cartridge later when convenient.

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is Ebay the best source of empty OEM carts, and how do you know they don't have dried out sponges?

Darth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought some cartridges on Ebay, but I am finding "purging" to be a PTA. Since I use the German method of refilling, I don't want to drill a new hole in the top. I have been trying to purge by running water in the outlet port and then using paper towels folded up to wick the water and remaining ink.
Messy and PTA. Is there an easier way?