Refilling BJC-255SP with BC-03 Cartridge

fragnatic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon BJC-255SP which uses a BC-03 black cartridge and i have a big bottle of ink to use, i have made a hole in the side of the cartridge to put the ink in and have sealed the hole with duct tape which is airtight. Although the ink spills out of the nozzles and goes everywhere in the printer. So i blocked off the air vent with tape, which fixed the leaking, but after a while the cartridge stops working because a vacuum is created inside the cartridge (cause i blocked off the vent).
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Is there something wrong with the cartridge or maybe the ink consistency?

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
The BC-03 is completely different than the BCI-3/6 we discuss so much on this forum. The procedure you described should (and does) work fine for the BCI-03 or 6 but this is a different beast. I did a google search on the BJC-255SP and then reviewed the refilling instructions for the BC-03. One of the things I noticed was that a small amount of ink needs to be pulled through the nozzles on the ink cartridge with the syringe. If this step is omitted it can cause the problem you describe.
Here is a link to the instructions.
http://www.discount-inks.com/openrefillinstructions.asp?sPIC=BKI-8403D&cart=BC-03, BX-3

fragnatic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, i'll try sucking some of the ink out of the nozzles, would this to be to create a vacume inside the cartridge? Casue wouldnt the air just come through the vent again?