Refilling BCI 6Y,s

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Since the hole is on the flat side of the reservoir it's easy to seal with duct tape. On the top of the cartridge duct tape is problematic due to the uneven surfaces. My method is ugly, but it does work. I'm still looking for nylon thumbscrews that I could use on top as an alternative to duct tape.

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Thanks!!! Exactly what I've been looking for. I tried all the usual sources locally - Lowes, HD, Ace, Radio Shack, mom and pop hardware stores. None of them had any. I could get them in metal, but not nylon. Once I get some, I'll post back with an update.

Max

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am very new to this forum. I have been reading through these for the last one week and found very usefull.
I have a question about refilling BCI-6 cart. In some place it is said that tape the air vent to completely close it and in another place itis said drill a hole above the sponge area and keep it permanently open. I recently purchased a Canon Pixma IP5000 in the hope refilling the cart once it become empty. Those of you experienced refillers help me
Thanks
Max

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Max,

Welcome to the forum.

Some people tape over the vent to prevent the cart from "drying out" if it will be stored for an extended time - this is why the vent is sealed on a new cart. The ink won't feed if the vent isn't opened before a cart is installed in the printer, however.

Some people add an extra vent hole in the sponge area if the vent somehow becomes plugged, but this will rarely be required. Some of us have also experimented with adding an extra hole to experiment with adding ink directly to the sponge, but you do not need to be concerned with this for "normal" refilling.

Max

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you Grandad
What I meant was closing the vent at the time of refilling and removing the closure after refilling. What is the purpose or advantage of doing this
Max

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Max,

In most cases there is no benefit to sealing the vent hole while refilling. There are some special techniques where this is done (e.g. vacuum refilling), but it is not necessary for "normal" refilling. If you seal both the vent and exit ports while refilling, no ink will be able to flow into the sponge chamber to recharge the sponge and you won't get as much ink into the cart as is possible.

Max

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you Granddad
That clears my doubt

Max

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Anbody have any experience on Stratitec ink, sold in Sams Club, is very cheap.
Max

Latest posts