Refilling BCI-3eBK which has BCI-6BK ink

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Previously, as an experiment, it was recommended that I cleanout my 3eBK cartridge and refill it with 6BK. I was told that if I was to refill it with the 3eBK I would have to clean it out first. Why is that? What's the danger of not cleaning it out first? Is it a matter of longevity, because this printer is about to go into the hazardous waste, so I only need it to work for a couple more months.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know if your refill inks will behave like HP pigment and dye inks when mixed. HP developed the "egg yolk test" to test that pigment ink does not mix with dye ink. The test works like this : In a small amount of dye ink preferably yellow add one drop of pigment ink. The pigment ink should not spread in the dye ink but stay a drop.

Mixing dye and pigment in the 3eBK cartridge could lead to pigments coagulating and causing pigment black clogging in the print head, I think.

I would prefer to be on the safe side and flush the 3eBK cartridge before refilling it with pigment ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust
Its ok to fill your 3eBK with dye BK ink without having to clean out your cartridge first it will work perfectly fine.
PeterBJ I would prefer to be on the safe side and flush the 3eBK cartridge before refilling it with pigment ink.
Now if you want to revert and refill the same 3eBK cartridge with the original pigment ink
then it would be necessary to clean it out as mentioned by PeterBJ above..:)

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
In that case I think I know what's been causing all this damn black clogging: it's been the cross contamination between the blacks!