Refilling A Ball Point Pen with InkJet Ink... 2 BIG QUESTIONS!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
DISCLAIMER: This is one of those refill-a-holic type things that is done for FUN more than to save money!!!

Friends,

I've been using my inkjet printer ink to refill my rolling ball pens for a while and have had mixed success, but for the most part I've been successful and have been having a bit of fun. Here is my pen of choice to refill, a Pilot Precise "V series" pen

refill-pen-1.jpg

I started to write the rest here in the forum but decided to just create a page here:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/refill-pen-inkjet-ink.php

The main questions are posted on that page, but here is the nutshell:

1) How do I fill the pen with the tip down and preventing the ink from running out?
2) How do I seal the refill hole?

I look forward to your thoughts, comments, and suggestions!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Rob,

This site sell syringes that have 3.5" long needles (http://216.219.159.185/tools.html#anchor26067). As long as you refill before the ink drops to that level, you could refill from the top. You could also use something like a catheter (http://www.allegromedical.com/urologicals_catheters/intermittent_catheters/personal_catheter.P191767) to reach all the way to the bottom, but these cost more than a new pen and won't be able to penetrate any filler material that might be in the pen. My local hardware sells small diameter thin wall tubing if you could adapt it to your syringe.

To seal the tip, try sticking the pen into some modelling clay that is flattened onto your work surface - this would also serve as a holder for the pen while you refill it.

When do you plan on forming the first chapter of IAA (InkAholics Anonymous)?

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm using Staedtler Technical Pens. They are designed to be refillable, and uses pigment based ink. Been using these pens since I was a kid. Used by architects, draftsment, and engineers.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks for the replies guys! Grandad, I've not used modeling clay for many years, do I need to worry about clay getting into the rolling ball parts?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Rob,

Since wax doesn't mess up the tip, I figured that clay wouldn't be any worse.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
How about food grade silicone putty? Check out Mack's ear plugs at the pharmacy. knead it a bit and stick your pen in it. Non clogging and non-reactive. That will leave you with a set and a half of earplugs for noisy flights, snoring spouse, the neighbor's lawn mower or leaf blower, etc.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Oh yeah... I know that stuff! Do you think it will provide a good enough seal? If so, I think I'll give it a try.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It certainly "seals" my wife's ears well enough that she sleeps through my snoring and doesn't hear her alarm clock ring in the morning!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The things they used to talk about in 2005.:)