Refillable ink tanks on Maxify 5120

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm using the auto ink carts on this printer. It is not displaying the correct ink level. It's not showing the ! anymore but it still looks like the cart is low. Now I refilled them when they were low and not completely out. Is that the problem? Do I need to wait until it says the cart is empty before I refill? TIA

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No you don’t have to wait till the carts is out of ink, you can refill anytime if you wish, but if your using ARC chips then they won’t function correctly till the Red X comes up.

When this happens, follow the removal procedure for that cart as if you’re going to install a new cart, just wait a minute and reinstall, you’ll then find the correct ink level is now showing for that cart.... That’s the way ARC chips work..
Try using the OEM carts with the ARC chips on them..

P.S. The Maxify preforms fmuch better the more you use this machine..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Those autoreset chips don't last forever. At some point, they start to fail and the ink level doesn't resets to full anymore, but to a lower level. Eventually, the chip dies and you see on screen a question mark and a message saying that ink level on one or more cartridges cannot be measured ( or something to that effect ).
Currently, three carts of my MB5150 are showing this question mark and there's plenty of ink inside. Luckily, the ink control chamber at the bottom of the Maxify printhead detects when the ink is really exhausted and warns you with a red X, even if the chip is dead.

Last edited: