Refill without a resetter

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
... and the only time you’ll get a purge is when a cart that shows low is replaced with a full reset one ...

So when I top up all 10 carts before there is one that shows low (= red cross) then I will have no purge at all ?
Never tried that I must say (you need to be fast too, before the printhead is retracted).

I have a second set refilled ready, but that way it are other cartridges and I will have a purge.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does this mean there is no ink purge if you reset and reinstall a cartridge before it is marked Low?
Yes, there is, any cartridge that has had a change in ink levels since the print head has passed the LED light will cause a purge, or if 30 seconds approx., has passed since the top lid was opened, so a reset of a cart that showed, half, or low ink will set the cleaning routine in motion.

There are several different types of purging, there’s one that only does a squirt of ink and another that will do a Mini squirt, (A Normal purge) and there is the big Momma (Deep clean) that squirts out one ml of ink per channel, the first one, is not even a proper purge, just like wiping your feet before going in doors.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes, there is
I either need to drink more or drink less to understand all you wrote. Now I am asking for clarity.

What are the parameters of an ink purge concerning taking a cartridge out of the printer?
  • Does an ink purge occur when you take a cartridge out but put it back in without doing a thing to the cartridge?
  • Does an ink purge ONLY take place when the cartridge's chip is reset and that cartridge then returned to the print head?
  • What is this about "the print head has passed the LED light"???
  • Where did you get this "30 second" time frame?
If you are having more than one squirt a night then you should see your physician about your prostate. That's free advice and worth every penny you paid for it. ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon @stratman was not paying enough attention in class today... :duc
Does an ink purge occur when you take a cartridge out but put it back in without doing a thing to the cartridge?
No. But be quick about it..
Does an ink purge ONLY take place when the cartridge's chip is reset and that cartridge then returned to the print head?
Only if that cartridge chip has been altered from its previously reported condition, i.e. from the half or low ink marker, or the top lid was left open to long.
What is this about "the print head has passed the LED light"???
When the print head stops in the centre of the carriageway it allows you to replace a cartridge, but once you close the top lid the print head then moves to the left and as it returns slowly an LED sensor light reads the condition of each cartridge chip as they pass.

Once the print head is back in the parting area, (Right side) the printer then determines whether to run a purge cycle based upon the information gained by the LED sensor, and or give a warning that one or more of the cartridges has a problem, or the top lid was open to long..
Where did you get this "30 second" time frame?
The 30 second pause is only an estimation on my part, it could be + or – 10 seconds I have never actually timed how long you got till the printer activates a purge, let’s just say, it depends...

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
How does an LED sensor(light) read a chip status (electrical)?

Very odd.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
The cartridge contacts are in the head so I would presume so the cpu can probably read chip status anytime it cares to.

BTW on my TS9020 the head stays centered for as long as I care to keep the lid open.

Also, I can remove and replace any cartridge with no purge or clean.

I haven't used up the initial carts yet but so far this implies I could do top-ups with losing ink Will see.

May differ with other models.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
BTW on my TS9020 the head stays centered for as long as I care to keep the lid open
Good to know Canon changed this.

Topping up early is the only way to avoid empty cartridges without a resetter, unless you have transparant cartridges.

In any case the chip counts down, and when empty you will have to hold the red button 5 sec to disable ink monitoring.
I have no experience running a printer this way over a long period, if it does more purges or not.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I reckon @stratman was not paying enough attention in class today...
I was. The teacher was mumbling again. :smack

or the top lid was left open to long.
What does that have to do with the chip? The print head will return to the parking position above the purge pads whether there are cartridges missing or not from the print head.

As I wrote before, my MP830 manual states an ink purge occurs when power is turned off before the print head returns to the parking position. Are you sure there is an ink purge just because you lift the lid for whatever period of time?
Your evidence? Maybe an external waste ink tank showing ink going into the external tank? Or, did you read this somewhere? Could it be the wiper blades doing their thing sometimes?

Yes, I'm being a stickler on the details. Old Russian proverb: доверяй, но проверяй

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The most common complaint about Canon printers (on internet fora) is that the maintenance noises - and suggested ink losses - drive people mad.
Therefore people start refilling.
There are already so many pitfalls that you better start with the best options for the particular printer.

There seldom have been, and probably never will be better printers to refill than the PRO-9500 and alikes.

The resetter exists since 5 years, the last 3 years issues with the inks (magenta feed problems, gloss differences, adherence, ...) have been corrected.
You won't enhance the actually offered refill techniques yourself (considerable time, different ink brands, and some printheads :\ were lost trying this).

RESET and refill the cartridges as you should and print as much as you can before these printers are worn out and/or parts are no longer available.

Don't worry about - or try to fiddle with - the ink purges, the printer always wins.
That's why you started refilling, no ?

For printers where no resetter is available several interesting points have been mentioned, but IMO they should be discussed for a specific printer, nobody is helped by feeding the Canon myths.