Refill Problem, help please.

RGBcolour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Lexmark X6170, it uses Lexmark #82 and #83 cartridges.
I ran out of Ink a little while ago, so it sat unused for a bit.

I bought a refill kit and refilled them as per instructions. It's printing blank pages though.
So, here's what I've done. I cleaned the print heads with a damp cloth.

I don't think they're clogged, because I am getting all colours when I drag it across the cloth.
So, the ink IS able to pass through the jets.

When I put them in the printer and run a test or clean program. It prints blank, or sometimes, faint black lines.

Are these cartridges toast or what? Is there anything I can do?

Thank you very much in advance!!

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I too am not a Lexmark fan and I don't have any special knowledge about your printer, but the fact that you got the colors when you wiped the print head with a damp cloth does not really prove that it is not clogged. You could be getting even dried ink to show up with the dampness of the cloth helping.

Search this forum or others for instructions on your printer of how to really flush out the print head completely. I think that is what you need.

You may also benefit from one of the programs that automatically prints a page every day. Such programs are used to prevent clogging up by printers that have strong tendencies toward clogging when not used much.

RGBcolour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try doing a good flush.

So, I do that, by just flushing warm water through the cartridge?

Thank You

tissouth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Lexmark 82,83 are sponge based cartridges with a filter near the bottom that tends to get ink dried on it. You said you let it sit for a while, when not in use this filter tends to cake up with dried ink.
Try putting the print head in about half an inch of Amonia for about three hours, and thie may soften up the ink so it will flow through the cartridge.

Before this one other thing, can be a problem, If you put too much ink in, like Wallgreens tends to do, the printing will be streaky, becaust the sponge need to breathe to keep and even floe. So try taking some ink back out.

good luck

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
It could also be an air block if the ink wasn't injected deeply enough into the cartridge.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I do refills as part of my business. I suggest that you get a bottom filler for the blk #82. You can fill from the bottom very easily, and that tends to open up the nozzles a bit as well. Conversely, after refilling the black OR the colour, you can suction some out of the bottom of the cartridge and get the ink flowing. Lexmark carts can be problematic if they have been laying around for a while. Your best bet is to refill them when there is about 20% ink left. You should get a few extra refills this way.

RGBcolour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Flushing sure does take a long time!... :lol:
Next time, I think I'll just take my cartridges to a shop and have them do it.

They're drying now. I hope it works. Thanks for the additional information.
Manuchau, is your businees in Toronto?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
No... I live in a small town of 400 people high in the mountains of BC, and also have a small shop in another local town of 2000. believe me, it does not take very long to refill the 82. If you refill from the top or bottom, it shouldn't take you more than 1-2 minutes from start to finish.

Good luck!!

RGBcolour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm going to have to buy new cartridges.
The #83 gives me a 50C error: Shorting.

The #82, I flushed out really well. Refilled with ink very deeply and slowly. Let it sit overnight.
It is a lot better than it was before, but I try to print a square of solid Black and it just prints a very faint and streaky box.

So, I don't know what else I could do?
The print head could be garbage?