RedRiver Polar Pearl Metallic Fading and Spray Coating

kcgoatboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-950
Does anyone know how well the RR metallic paper performs with fading when using quality dye inks and displayed indoors uncovered? I know there's lots of variables but am wondering about ballpark performance like should not noticeably fade within a few years or after a few months you'll be able to tell.

Also is there any coating that could be sprayed on to help slow down fading due to ozone and not greatly affect the gloss?

I already have some sheets of the RR Polar Pearl Metallic paper and was tasked with making a print but the boss (wife) wants it mounted uncovered and free floating on top of a burlap backed frame. Since more work will be involved mounting it, it would be nice not to have to redo all the work every few months.

I will be planning on getting and using the Epson 106/ET-7700 inks that Ink stained Fingers is testing.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm rarely using such Pearl metallic paper, I was printing with pigment inks the last time when I used them and with a gloss opt. overprint. So I can't judge whether that paper let dye inks fade similar to more typical resin coated glossy papers. The tests I do show the relative performance between inks - or papers in some other tests, but it would be difficult to derive actual permanence numbers for your living room from those results. The Epson 106/ET-7700 inks appear to be amongst the very best dye inks you can get, and if you don't have some hidden sources for UV - like flourescent lamps or strong halogene lamps or sources for ozone like appliances with high voltage - ionizers, dust filters in the air condition system and similar your prints should last for a long time. I did some tests whether a gloss opt. overprint would give some protection - as it does, but it would not be practical for most users with a dye ink printer. I never used any canned sprays which are available from several paper/printing supplies companies. So give it a try and let us know in three years if everything goes fine.