Red River Paper saves the day and why I won't buy another canon

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 100 pixma, pm610
I was reading the specs on line for the pro 10 and pro 1.

My wife was surprised and asked whats up with that "You just bought two printers in two months".

I explained that my pro 100 wouldn't allow me to print 11 x 14 but Red River Paper has a hack available on their site that will allow me to use 11 x 14 paper.

She is a very logical person. She was a book keeper at a bank for 20 years. She interjected the question: Why would you even consider another printer that won't allow you to choose what size paper you can use.

She's right.

My "love affair" with canon is over just like that.

The fact that I have to resort to a hack to be able to use a photo paper that has been around for a long long time is unacceptable

My inexpensive epson 7610 would let me custom size the paper I want to use. Too bad it had an electronic problem and I had to return it.

Canon may think it's smart business to control paper size. I see it as unfriendly towards the canon purchasers.

I've already repackaged the other pro 100 for storage in the basement as future spare parts.

My print room is small and I have to make room.

I'm now reading up on epson artisan 1430s

Oh well

Bill

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I am not at home right now to verify, but I am sure (Almost) that the Pro 100 has a setting for custom sizes.

In my case I run hundreds if not thousands of 7 x 10 flat greeting cards and have a custom size set to that format. Maybe that is considered a hack, but it is from the menu's on the Pro100.

Because I use Qimage I do not reset parameters each time I print a non standard format, but recall from previous settings with one mouse click. Quick and simple.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Roy Sletcher is perfectly right, your Pro 100 will print 11 x 14 using a custom paper setting.

When choosing paper size, just click on Custom and enter the size you wish to use, in this case 11 x 14 and click OK, then use the Commonly used Setting and click the Save button, here you can name your own paper setting and Save it for use when ever you need it later..
Settings.PNG paper.png Click to enlarge..

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Roy It might be my fault as I chose to stay with cs3 and xp on my stand alone computer for photo and graphic arts. It's a new computer but for ease of use I wanted to stay with what I already knew how to use

For Internet I'm more up to date I use win 7 on a lap top

The drop down for paper sizing when I use the pro 100 doesn't have a choice for custom. It may be related to the cs3 photoshop I use.

When I was running 3 printers from the same computer a few weeks ago, the drop downs for paper size were different for each printer which makes sense coming from 3 different drivers.

I'm already looking at my options for other programs to help with image processing.

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just checked again and my choices end at the Hagaki It ends right there.

What is so strange is that I always used the custom paper size feature on the epson .

Using the same computer when I was using the mp610 the epson wf 7610 and the pro 100 I had no problem setting custom sizes from the drop down when I chose to use the epson.

In a few seconds I was printing 9 x12, 12 x 18 and 11 x 15 standard sizes for water color paper. My mother was an artist so I was a little familiar with it.

One thing for sure I don't have the choice for custom sizes on any of the print drop downs.

It must be related to my operating system or cs3 because it just isn't there

red river offers a hack to allow borderless prints on the pro 100

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/info...nt-11x14-borderless-canon-inkjet-printer.html

Maybe the driver that came with the printer was lacking that feature or not up to date??

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Bill, Suggestion:- try setting your printer up from the Control Panel instead of CS3, you may find the setting at there, if not then you maybe using the wrong driver for the printer..

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat I'll go through the control panel

I did go through it when i went in and removed the old printers and drivers. That would be the best place to start.

I'm wondering if maybe I got an older install disk when they packaged it.

Right now I'm reinstalling the disk that came with it.

I appreciate the help This one is perplexing . I went to the canon site and downloaded their latest driver for it too.

Thanks

Bill

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I appreciate the help This one is perplexing . I went to the canon site and downloaded their latest driver for it too. Thanks
Bill

No Problem Bill, we’re only glad to help , that’s why you came to us after all.. :hugs

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks again for all the help

I'm done with this canon

If I try to choose borderless it automatically changes the paper size from custom back to letter and from semi to glossy and then there is no way around the offset for staples

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I would try printing from Irfanview (google it), to see if the custom size option becomes available. Sounds like you should be done with CS3 or XP, not the PRO-100...