Red and Green inks on Canon i9900/i9950: which papers do NOT use them?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am doing some interesting experiments now (will tell you guys later....) and maybe somebody can tell me which papers do NOT use the red and green inks on the Canon i9900/i9950 printer.

I do know that Photo Paper Pro and Glossy Photo Paper do use the red and green inks.

What about Glossy Photo Paper Extra and "other photo papers" and High Resolution Paper ?

Much appreciated !!!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Back when I owned an i9900, I ran some tests to see under what conditions the red and green inks were used. See this thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1977

There are only two paper types that use both the red and green: Photo Paper Pro (either quality) and Glossy Photo Paper in the High quality.

Matte Photo Paper uses only the red ink in either quality, it does not use green.

All other paper types do not use either the red or the green.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
What about Glossy Photo Paper Extra in high quality ? I do have the feeling this paper is using red and green as well when I choose this paper and I once did print large surfaces with red and green on it (banners with name on it) I did experience this ink is consumed as welll at the same rate as for example magenta.

The reason I ask this is that there is Glossy Photo Paper and Glossy Photo Paper Extra in the printer menu to choose from. And what about high resolution paper ?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Since I no longer have an i9900, I cannot examine the menus, but when I did my tests, I tried every combination of paper and quality setting. Since you are in Belgium, you probably have an i9950 and it may have additional or different paper types available than the American i9900.