Recommendations needed/appreciated for buying a brand new printer.

JN832

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce Pro WF-7840
I use a printer a couple days a week and probably do not print more than 50 pages a month.

I just bought an Epson Workforce Pro WF-7840 two days ago but I'm returning it to Amazon today. I thought the "OEM" cartridges could be reset/refilled with OEM original Epson manufactured ink used for their ink-tank printers. But the 812 cartridges can't even be reset let alone be re-filled and re-used. Which is unfortunate because I really liked this printer and the features for the price but no way I'm willing to pay for Epson OEM cartridges every time they need to be replaced.

Of all the printers I've owned in the past 25 plus years, NONE of the generic replacement ink cartridges/ink refill kits have ever came close to the same quality printing as what the manufactured OEM ink and cartridges can do...especially with photos.

I'm going to buy a new printer which "should" offer me some trouble free operation for a while at least because I don't know a lot about printers and don't want to spend time changing printheads or doing other mods/repairs. From the hours and hours I've spent researching...at this moment I don't think I will buy an ink-tank printer since most of the "affordable" models are basically older style/tech printers that are simply modified by the manufacturer with ink tanks and they increase the cost so a person ends up paying $400 - $500 for a $99 printer. Nope...not willing to do that!

At this moment it's looking like buying an older tech ink cartridge printer that's brand new is the way to go. I can get one at a much lower price offering a lot more features than their newest models costing big bucks. And from my research the ink tank printers waste a lot of ink and the printheads clog just the same as the ink cartridges anyway.

My understanding is...some printer models are years old but are still being sold by the big name companies. Though they might not be actually manufactured them any longer they're just getting rid of what stock they have until they're gone...whatever. I don't know how all that works but I have no issues buying an older tech printer as long as it's brand new.

So I would like to find a printer where the caI really don't want to use generic My reason is simple..."quality" ink! As much as I like all the features on the 7840 I don't really need all of them. I'm willing to spend up to $300 and don't care if I buy a Brother, Canon, Epson or HP. All have their pros and cons.

My "must haves" list is pretty short and I don't print many photos but when I do print a photo I just want decent quality. Printers offering more features than what's listed below would be a bonus. Again my max budget $300. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help!

Cheers
Tyler

• full duplex
  • decent resolution for scanning/printing
  • able to handle at least 8.5 x 14 legal size paper for both printing/scanning
  • auto paper feeder