Recommendation Needed: Reliability of Newer Generation Printhead

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
Guys, I tested the water with Epson WF-7720 a few years when it came out. I had doubt that it will fail sooner or later due to the newer Precision Core printhead. Just like later generation with photo printers like 9890, 4900 etc... So the first thing I did was start it out with after market dye ink and stayed away from the durabrite/pigment ink all together! It works well for 2 years then nozzle clog became more and more frequent. It became a hassle so I ended up put it aside for 2 years and stick with my laser. In the recent week, I am trying to restore and clean the print head and it looks like there are nozzles of each color that are permanently clog or dead. The printer also have chipless solution firmware too. Debating if I should throw this unit out or anyone have a reliable source to buy new printhead. Ebay is flooded with half dead printheads hints alot about its prospect. I enjoy the large scanner and fax functionality though my Canon laser can also do the fax. Does anyone have good luck with Precision Core? Any recommendation for those have moved on beyond Epson?

Another flaw I found out on these Epson is they do not use gravity for their waste ink or drain pump: they use drain-line squeezer to induce flow. I think this is also one of the reason it is hard for internal print head to remove clog: not enough vaccuum. More parts but reduced effectiveness overall more $$$.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Do you know print head order code i could check online service part retailers for one. Ebay and aliexpress have only fakes. I wasted 2x brother print heads both were half dead.

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you Smile! Epson Printhead 188 T1881 is the model.

I have 3 printheads at the moment, 2 of 3 were taken apart and found 2 have identical burnt spot. If anyone have a workforce precision core, probably open once while if that clog won't go away! Also if you notice, the resin over the pins are not fully encapsulated: plain poor fabrication from the factory!

Attachments

• Printhead Burnt 1.jpg
    Printhead Burnt 1.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 59
  • Printhead Burnt.jpg
    Printhead Burnt.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 56

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry could not find it.

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
No worry! Thank you for looking into it! My gut tells me even if you find it, it would cost more to buy a newer model lol. I will take my loss with this unit! I am getting a used Maxify 2320 to replace it; with perfect printhead!

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile,
Would you please give this part code a try: Epson FA13031

I found website in Canada that have it them in stock as new but it seems Epson has put an international cross-shipping limitation. https://www.primeparts.ca/Printer-Parts/Epson/Printheads/FA13031/

Here is the response from the distributor:
"The printheads are restricted products from Epson. They only allow one printhead per serial number every 90 days and Epson holds the stock. If you order from them or us you will be waiting for the item to arrive from Epson. It’s frustrating but that’s the case with printheads."

Not sure what kind of business model this is... Wife just said recycle it!

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson FA13031 this code did not find me anything :(

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Guys, I think might just found a couple reliable Chinese seller on Ebay for the printheads. They claim to give me 3 month warranty along the purchase. I reached out and they indicate they guarantee 100% nozzle functional. and I had threaten to return (if that is not the case) on their expenses. If it works out, I am gonna buy a few head more head to test and stash-up. Apparently they have multiple tier of printheads with 100% functionality. 100% functional with scratches are like 25% discounted. Their price is 3/4 of new printhead unit. If it works out, I will share the sellers name for anyone wishes to stash up. Printheads delivery sometime early Feb. Accounts have been around 2007 and 2014 with 98% rating so in the worst case in a couple months loan! :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Guys, I think might just found a couple reliable Chinese seller on Ebay for the printheads.
Don’t buy any of these print heads, they are all refurbished and wont function as you well as you think they will, in part your wasting your time and money on them.. There’re just junk..

Brand new heads are available from Canon or their distributors, yes they maybe more expensive, but your guaranteed a working print head for many, many years..