Recommend new printer

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
My Pixma MP610 all in one died - got the fatal wrong print head error message after which the switch won't turn the printer on. Nuts.

Here are the things I'm mulling over.
The new one must have refillable cartridges.
I'd like to make use of the stock of CLI-8 cartridges and resetter I have (i.e. another printer that uses the same cartridges), but maybe there are newer cartridges that are as easy to refill - and hold as much ink?
It must have a separate black tank - no wasting of colors to make black.
I'm not wedded to an all in one printer. I still have my scanner and don't need to fax.
The 9000 pro takes up too much desk space
It would be nice if I could print CD's with it.
I've always had Canon printers, but I'm willing to consider others if they're as easy to refill and last as long as a Canon (although I"m disappointed that my MP610 only lasted just under 4 years - which is a reason to consider switching printer brands.)

What are good choices?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I was a Canon "addict", but I now believe the piezo print heads (Epson Style) are FAR more durable that Canon's thermal print heads. And there are aftermarket carts for Epson Printers that work fine. My only issue with Epsons is they waste a LOT more ink during cleaning cycles than Canons, so a large user should plunk down the $10 to $20 for a waste ink tank. And many Epsons will print CD's.

Wayne

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
turbguy said:
I was a Canon "addict", but I now believe the piezo print heads (Epson Style) are FAR more durable that Canon's thermal print heads.
Wayne
Although this is the Canon forum, do you have any recommendations on a model of Epson printer? After your post, I added a similar query on the Epson forum since I don't know if the Epson and Canon people read both groups. I'm still open for suggestions on either manufacturer. From some reading I did, it sounds like the Canon 4300 and 4500 printers are good machines with easily refilled cartridges.

santer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The P50 is a standalone, however, given the pricing on Amazon, you may as well have the AIO PX730WD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=computers&field-keywords=epson+p50

This shows CD printing with an Artisan 700 but is the same for the PX730WD which has an inbuilt tray, so no need to line up insert trays etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzU7MjyMP4M

The PX730WD can be used with refillable cartridges or a continuous ink system

If you want to go for a larger format, then the 1500W seems reasonably priced but uses an insert tray for CD printing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-1500W...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1355886729&sr=1-1

More expensive is the R2880 but mine stops mid print when an ink runs out, then continues the print seamlessly after the ink is replaced, which is worth having when using A3 plus photo paper.

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
santer said:
The P50 is a standalone, however, given the pricing on Amazon, you may as well have the AIO PX730WD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=computers&field-keywords=epson+p50

More expensive is the R2880 but mine stops mid print when an ink runs out, then continues the print seamlessly after the ink is replaced, which is worth having when using A3 plus photo paper.
I looked at the Espon Artisan 730 (the US equivalent) but it got bad reviews on text printing at PC Magazine
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399616,00.asp
"Cons Subpar text. Output on plain paper looks faded. Low paper capacity."

I do much more text printing than photos, so text quality is important. The 730 is probably not a good choice for me. Is there a different model, either dedicated printer or AIO that does good text and ideally prints to CDs? I don't do enough printing to justify the $500-$600 cost of an R2880.

From my reading, the Canon Pixma ip4500 is a good machine that meets all of my requirements, but it's out of production. It originally listed around $120 and the remaining new ones are now $400 at Amazon. Since Canon print heads seem to have a planned obsolescence that disables the entire printer, I'm loathe to buy a used Canon printer unless I knew it was almost unused.

santer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I asked Epson about the text and posted their response in the other thread

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
santer said:
I'd like to read that. What other thread are you referring to? What would I search for to find it?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
RWL said:
santer said:

I looked at the Espon Artisan 730 (the US equivalent) but it got bad reviews on text printing at PC Magazine
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399616,00.asp
"Cons Subpar text. Output on plain paper looks faded. Low paper capacity."

I do much more text printing than photos, so text quality is important. The 730 is probably not a good choice for me. Is there a different model, either dedicated printer or AIO that does good text and ideally prints to CDs? I don't do enough printing to justify the $500-$600 cost of an R2880.

From my reading, the Canon Pixma ip4500 is a good machine that meets all of my requirements, but it's out of production. It originally listed around $120 and the remaining new ones are now $400 at Amazon. Since Canon print heads seem to have a planned obsolescence that disables the entire printer, I'm loathe to buy a used Canon printer unless I knew it was almost unused.
If that's the case, get a small laser printer. Much cheaper per page, better output, and much less maintenance!

Wayne

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
RWL said:
santer said:
I'd like to read that. What other thread are you referring to? What would I search for to find it?
santer said:
Doh!!! The hazards of posting to two different groups here. Thanks. I looked for a US chat line but Epson doesn't seem to have one like they have in the UK. The UK chat line is closed at the moment - it's evening your time now, but afternoon here in the US.

PS. To the other poster. I"m not enamored of laser printers because I prefer to do refilling, and I want a printer than can print directly to CDs. Thanks though for your suggestion.