websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Only thing I can think of is to:
a) purge it as suggested above
b) sort out a way to vaccum fill the cartridge instead (ie: draw all the ink and air out as much as possible and then let ink in to take its place).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Purging will take care of the foam, though you will need a backup cartridge for use while the purged one dries out.

A couple of reasons for the foam. You may be injecting the ink too fast, creating turbulence which creates the bubbles. Additionally, you are injecting ink directly into the sponged side and you are doing that too quickly as well. Try not injecting into the sponge side and inject more slowly overall.

An easy reason for your foam is the formulation of the ink. Your ink may be predisposed to making bubbles easier than other brands.

Another reason is the cartridge itself. You didn't tell us what brand of cartridge you are using. My assumption is that it is Canon, but if not, maybe the construction makes it inherently susceptible to foam during refilling.

Lastly, if you wait long enough the bubbles may resolve on their own, though that might take days to weeks.

Please let us know what brand of cartridge and ink you are using so that we all may help you better and hopefully learn from and prevent repeating your issue.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
"b) sort out a way to vaccum fill the cartridge instead (ie: draw all the ink and air out as much as possible and then let ink in to take its place)."

Well this method does not eliminate the need to purge the cartridges. I too was thinking it does for recently I had to purge my PM PC cartridges to restore them to normal. I used hot distiled water.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You could also fill the cartridge completely with ink. The bubles will either be pushed out or break from the overwhelming partial pressure of the fluid inside the cartridge. You will waste ink, it will be messy and it may cause issues with the atmospheric vent, but is should work!

Vacuum refilling would work (same principle as above) but that costs more money overall for the equipment than the other suggestions. I'd opt for the least costly method that sounds logical, and, if it fails, then work your way up the ladder of costlier solutions.