R800 black leaking into red

aldine

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson r800 r1900 r2880
I am trying to resurrect a r800. With the help of windex I have unclogged the heads, but now when I print a nozzle check black is mixed in with the red. Any ideas what could be causing that?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Congrats you could unclog the heads.
I recently had to give up on the yellow on a 2100 after half a bottle of window cleaner and isopropanol.

From my limited experience:
Do you have new and clean cartridges (I should have started with this instead of blowing clogged yellow ink in the head)
Did you had a clean red check pattern ?
If it is contaminated again the next day maybe it is related with the purge pad, if it stays in contact with the nozzles or too soaked, ink can seep from one color to another.
I would try to clean the purge pad ( the permeable but hard plate in the rubber cup where the head parks) and verify if the pump evacuates the ink (maybe it is dried in the tubes).

Last edited:

aldine

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson r800 r1900 r2880
Thanks for your reply. Over night the black stayed out of the red, but was in the yellow. I cleaned the purge pad, but did not see the pump evacuate the windex. The little wiper arm was caked with died ink. I cleaned that and got a good pattern check. Hopefully that did it.