R3000 - swapping Epson cartridges from one printer to another

GromitRoberts

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Due to circumstances to complex to relate (at the moment) I have a complete set of new, full R3000 ink cartridges... but they were briefly installed & primed on another R3000 (not mine) so my printer won't recognize them. I've found references on this forum to all kinds of ways of re-setting various cartridges to show they're full but I haven't seen anything about getting cartridges to forget what printers they've been installed in. ANy input would be appreciated!

tdudash

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
If nothing else works, it's drastic, try uninstalling the software, and reinstalling, hopefully when it asks that you plug it in via a printer cable, it'll recognize them.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
On most of the newer Epson printers, the printers evaluate how much ink is remaining in the incoming cartridge before it accepts them as it knows it must carry out a process when it accepts the cartridge. So when a new cartridge is seen, maybe the r3000 requires more ink to carry out a procedure than the incoming cartridge can supply according to the chip. You don't want the printer to stop in the middle of a process or run out of ink either.
When the R3000 is powered up for the first time, a lot of ink from the first set of cartridges is initially utilized to fill and purge the empty lines. Even though the printer has not even really printed much, a significant amount of ink has already left the cartridges but not wasted. This check of ink is very important especially on printers with remote printheads as the printer must maintain the integrity of the ink column throughout the tubes. Air gaps in the tubes will cause banding.

The same procedure holds for the Artsian and I think the PX line in Europe etc.

When transferring used CISS systems onto new printers the same issues are faced. The chips must indicate a full enough condition to allow the printer to initially charge the lines and it checks this via the chip.

Similar situation when switching from Matte to Photo Black on printers like the R2880. Each switch, the printers purges the ink path and it used a lot of ink to carry this out.

All of the above conditions can trigger a non recognition or non acceptance. It is designed to do this for a good and logical reason.

If it is the OEM chips in question, then forget about resetting them to carry out an operation. You could make more trouble if the printer runs out of ink during the initial purge/prime of the printer.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I would think it is an Epson bug that Epson needs to address. Call Epson. If the cartridges are Epson OEM and are pretty full still they have to be recognized by every R3000 printer. Think about it. If you have two R3000 are you willing to accept that you can not interchange OEM cartridges between the two? That's a bug Epson needs to fix. This may be what Epson is doing to prevent people from buying refilled OEM cartridges. Once the OEM cartridges are plugged into one printer they will not be usable by other printers of the same model.