R3000 rant

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nothing worth mentioning.
I hate this printer. I loved it for the first year. Now I hate it... I'm angry... and I hate Epson too.

It never got used mych as my "business idea" never kicked off. Over nearly 3 years I've changed about 5 complete inksets (OEM only).

The last time I did a series of prints (A3+) it was creating dark ink blotches (on A4 paper too). Blotted out all the ink I could and managed to do my prints. Since then a couple of small photos here and there... some text.

Now it's doing the blotches again, I blotted three times, get 1 print after each time and the second print is crap again.

To make matters worse, it keeps printing black streaks in yellow (also on the nozzle test). In an image with yellow, the black streaks go acoss the whole image. One head clean cycle, one print ok, then crap again.

I just spent 7 hours of head cleaning/blotting and did not get even one print.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
after several years of usage the usally a big maintance could be necessary
I bought a "defective" R3000 for 60€ and paid another 230€ for the replacement of the ink supply unit

1604456 501 INK SUPPLY UNIT

after that its like a NEW pritner

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I could understand if I had printed lot. But it has probably seen only 3-4 complete sets of ink. Sure it will be like a new printer. But how long will it last? Epson want £408 (around €510) for the repair by the way - nearly the price of a new one.

Thanks for posting the part no. by the way. Found a shop in Hohenstein-Ernstthal that sells the parts. Though from a practical point, not much use to me now. I have the added disadvantage of living on Malta. So anything (repairs or buying parts) also involves shipping. This is one of the rare occasions I miss living in a place like Hamburg.

Based on what I read fo far, the problem I am having with the yellow/black is indeed caused by the ink supply - at least it's the case for the R3880. Not too sure about the blotches though. Maybe that's why Epson want so much for the repair - they probably just replace the whole printer.

As the thing has basically become a write off for me, I'd be thankful for any tips on maintenance that could be done without replacing parts. I'm more than comfortable taking it apart for servicing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You best option in my opinion is to offer the printer for sale because even if you get it working once more the same thing is only going to happen again, no question about it.

It doesn’t matter which printer you own or how old or how new it is all inkjet printer have one thing in common and that is … USE IT OR LOSE IT

You have to use them regularly, like weekly otherwise they become useless to their owners and end up a paper weight as yours surly is now.

With a bit of care and attention your printer will work again but it will take lots of patients, time and new inks but most of all the know how to be able to unclog the heads and lines of air and this printer will last for years more to come..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
One thing you could check is to see if there is ink puddling on the resting/cleaning pad (located far right where the printhead usually sits, when not in use).

If this has a puddle in it then chances are high you have a clogged or restricted waste ink flow in your waste tubes which could well be down to lack of use. Without purchasing any kit, you could use the instructions here:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/124
... to access the tubes, detach them and point into a suitable container...

If a single printhead clean resolves the streaking/puddling situation then your extension tubes are clogged and an external waste tank would resolve the issue..

I doubt it's going to be that if I'm honest but it's something to try if nought else.

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
@ The Hat. Yes, I admit that at the end of the day it's most likely down to me not using the printer often enough. The hate stemmmed (it passed afte I threw a few thing down the stairs) from the fact that I had spent some time designing something for a client, made a few sample prints that turned out fine and when it came to actually printing the final product... . Luckily I'm friendly with a local printer who'll run small jobs for me. If I do manage to fix it, I will be doing Sunday prints. At least one print every Sunday to give away (or keep).

@ websnail. Thanks for that. It was exactly what I was thinking as there does indeed appear to puddling of ink there. I had read about blotting away the collected ink when first encountering blotches a few months ago(the first time I did it was also when I decided to never print borderless again) but had not found instructions and was perhaps too careful. I had bookmarked the octoinkjet page just after my last post and also found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKzxAm9QtWo
To be honest, I think this forum could do with some sticky threads with links to instructions. Printer name as thread title and also multiple posts. For example the video above would appear multiple times for different printers... .

@ cls. Alter Schwede, gleich n Deal machen?* :D (*Old Swede. Making deals right away?) Thanks for mentioning OTI.... if I don't manage to get mine working again, I might send you an offer if you haven't sold yours yet. Off topic: got me nostalgic when I saw OTI is near Winsbergring (Panasonic), as I worked as a technician in Hamburg in the 90s.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I am working at Panasonic dude :) IT Infrastructure

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
lol. I used to repair Panasonic video cameras (and other stuff from other manufacturers) and temped at the factory in Neumünster(car audio).

@ Joe (jtoolman) if read this. Just realised whose video I posted. Thanks man.

I motion for a sticky thread for Joe's vids.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lol. I used to repair Panasonic video cameras (and other stuff from other manufacturers) and temped at the factory in Neumünster(car audio).

@ Joe (jtoolman) if read this. Just realised whose video I posted. Thanks man.

I motion for a sticky thread for Joe's vids.
That is entirely up to @jtoolman:thumbsup