R2880 - Printing Cyan In Lieu of Magenta

rossn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880
Hi,

I have an Epson R2880... it has sat largely unused for several years (!). With an infant I now have some motivation to print... so I broke out the printer.

Originally, the cyan channel was like 95% blocked. Magenta was maybe 5-10% blocked, Yellow maybe 20% blocked. All other channels looked clean on the nozzle check.

After trying some windex/distilled water on a towel under the head, without success... I did some internet searching and came to Jon Cone's PiezoFlush and the injector. I ordered this, and it seemed to largely clear the Cyan channel. I did notice some red in the cyan channel, which I perceived to be some remnant (red) piezoflush. Coincidentally, I had several OEM cartridges almost out at the same time, and I wasn't about to replace half the cartridges just to run another test. So, I couldn't fully test, but went out on a limb and ordered a set of the ConeColor.

Tonight I installed 6 ConeColor cartridges, leaving OEM Yellow and Black that were nearly full. AFter running an Auto Nozzle Check and Cleaning, the pattern started looking very clean for Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta sections -- which started out very blocky. There also was some initial Cyan showing in the yellow, but the yellow channel eventually went back fully yellow. Of course, the one issue being that the Magenta section was looking like straight up cyan.

Now, thinking that perhaps something was going on with the magenta channel, I went to go do a piezo flush on it, with the adjacent cartridges pulled out. When I did, I got cyan coming back out the top side nipple, where the cyan cartridge attaches.

Has anyone seen these issues before? Symptoms seem indicate some internal damage to the head or possibly blockage on the bottom of the head, on the Magenta channel (which did recently seem to run a nozzle check fine).

Any insight is appreciated!

Ross

rossn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2880
I did remove the print head, and flushed it with distilled water. Flushing either the cyan or magenta channel sends the fluid to 1) both cyan and magenta nozzles (both lightly coming out (about equal amounts), the full 'line' of nozzles 2) the other cartridge port that is not being flushed.

I assume this means there was a membrane/gasket that ruptured inside.

I assume epson only sells parts for the full head replacement. Has anyone successfully disassembled and reassembled the head assembly before?

Is it safe to assume that the parts cost on the head (not the parts+labor) makes it cost prohibitive to replace the head (and not chuck the printer)?

Thanks!

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000, WP-4530, R2000
I think I recognize this thread from another forum, but want to reply here. I am starting to come to believe that anything that applies pressure or suction to the internals of the head is a bad idea, which includes IJM's flushing syringe. I donated my R2880 head to a friend to play with and we both agree that the internal membranes ruptured also. I can't prove it, but I also used the flushing syringe and believe that it caused rupture, but it also didn't clear the clog.

If a couple of cleanings, paper towel soak in piezoflush don't do it, try some initial fill procedures (WIC utility). On my old R2880, some of the manifold nipple were partially plugged with pigment. Letting them soak in piezoflush for a day wasn't enough to clear it.

If the bad clogs are at the nozzles, I am beginning to think a suction tool that can be applied to the affected nozzles on the head so that the internals don't feel the suction or pressure directly may be the only way. Or, remove the head and let it soak in solvent for a week or something.
Larry

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Unfortunately the description of the problem indicates that the head has blown so there's no solution except swapping with a new head (or buying a new printer).

@Larryb we've found that positive pressure can seriously foul things up very quickly but it's usually possible to apply a fair amount of negative (suction) pressure on the nipple without seriously fragging the head.

The one key ingredient all head cleans need though is patience and damn if we can't get a supplier for that one! ;)