R2000 - from perfect nozzle check to 50% missing in a day

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
I'm fairly sure my problem is related to cartridge priming. I did upside-down/side priming and I'm back to almost perfect nozzle check. The top volume over metal mesh is now half-full after the upside/down side priming. It was almost empty before. Definitely sucking in some ink in normal vertical position is not good enough for the old style (with reset button) marrutt cartridges for R2000.

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
OK, I think I know what is the problem and how a perfect nozzle check on i.e red colour check can become really bad after refilling another colour. The problem seems to lie in the design of cartridge - even if the cardridge is 50% full the vertical channel going to the outlet can become empty if the printer sucks too much ink. That doesn't happen with normal printing, but after refilling the printer probably performs some kind of flush and sucks ink rapidly. Obviously the problem is related to cartridge design, so I'll try to test the new marrutt cartridges to see if the problem is gone.

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
After refilling another colour the outlet channel [1] on red became empty despite of the cartridge being 50% full:

r2000_cartridge-jpg.5844

Attachments

• r2000_cartridge.JPG
    r2000_cartridge.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 624

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You possibly have an issue of 1. Insufficient priming. 2. The SS screen to the reservoir chamber is possibly clogged with pigment. 3. Total air seal on the cartridge body i.e. the air vents are plugged.
If you have already covered 1 and 3. then it is 2.

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
The are vents are plugged by the original rubber plugs. I'm suppose to remove them?? :eek:

racing_green

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R2000
/necro bump, but I'm wiser now/
In my case it was probably an early indication of waste ink line being clogged. So overpressure was pushing the ink back in the print head.