QY6-0080 nozzles photos

ricmm6

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ix6550, MG5751
I had an iX6550 printer up and running, used it occasionally, and unwisely thought that buying a cheap replacement used printhead would be a good idea. (Spoiler: it wasn't).
Also, more unwisely, after seeing the printhead I received had dried ink, I tried it on the printer foolishly hoping that the cleaning process would be sufficient.
Then error B200 appeared.
But not only did I make those mistakes, I also replaced again the working printhead and error B200 remained. And in a desperate way I tried turning the printer off and on and opening and closing the lid for clearing the evil error, but the printer finally died, no response at all.
Well, as the printer got broken, at least I would get some fun taking microscope photos of the nozzles, before and after cleaning it, and sharing them in this very useful site.
Enjoy them!

The printhead arrived with dried ink and damaged nozzles.
PGBK nozzles:
PGBK_clogged.png

BK nozzles:
BK_clogged_and_broken.png

Cyan or magenta nozzles:
C_M_clogged.png

There are three sizes of photo nozzles: for large droplets, for middle droplets and for small droplets (Canon words from iP5300 service manual, page 2-5). I suppose they corresponds to 5pl, 2pl and 1pl droplets.
Black and yellow only have large nozzles, one pair of nozzles lines each. Cyan and magenta have large, middle and small nozzles, two triplets each color.
In this model of printhead the pigment black nozzles are larger than photo nozzles (512 active nozzles, plus 16 more that seem are not used). In newer printheads, as QY6-0082, the pigmented black have about 1024 "large" nozzles (5 picoliter size), but that is a different story...

After cleaning the printehead, the nozzles geometry is clearly seen (the large and medium colour nozzles not the expected circular opening!).
The following images have a size of 1920x1080 pixles and a scale of 0,449 um/px (4x) or 0,196 um/px (20x).

PGBK nozzles 4x:
PGBK_nozzles_4x_0.png
PGBK_nozzles_4x_1.png

PGBK nozzles 10x:
PGBK_nozzles_10x_0.png
PGBK_nozzles_10x_1.png
PGBK_nozzles_10x_2.png

BK and Y nozzles 4x:
BK_Y_nozzles_4x.png

BK and Y nozzles 10x:
BK_Y_nozzles_10x_0.png
BK_Y_nozzles_10x_1.png