Questions on refilling Maxify Mega Tank (GX7021) with 3rd party Ink

BenH

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MAXIFY GX7021
I'm a new owner of a Maxify GX7021 Mega Tank printer.
First Canon I can remember owning (at least in last 20 years), was a mostly happy Epson user but last WF printer finally bit the dust.
One of the main reasons for going with the Mega Tank was the presumed ability to use 3rd party inks without cartridge "locks".

I've just set the printer up and hopefully have several thousand pages before I need to refill. This is a home use printer and I don't particularly require any "professional" level looking prints. I mostly use the device for duplex scanning and printing out black and white text. My kids use it for birthday cards and other crafts and they are the main ink consumers. I mention this mostly to state that I have a tolerance for the quality of the ink to not require 100% per-se, as economy is what I am striving for (i.e. $).

I would like any advice on how to refill these Mega Tank printers. I have saved the original "keyed" bottles that came with it in case it makes it easier to refill with a third party.
These are my current targeted questions:

1) Can someone recommend a good (and relatively cheap) supplier/brank of pigment ink I can use to refill the CMYK tanks of this printer?

2) Best advice on how to refill with a third party ink? I assume the best ink will not necessarily come in bottles keyed like the original. Should I attempt to refill the original bottles with a syringe of some sort? Or should I bypass them to fill the tanks directly? I want to examine both the bottle opening and the seal around the printer tank for refilling, but I don't want to press any syringe or prodding tool into them to see how their seals work for risk of damaging them. Can anyone elaborate on these GI-26 "keyed" bottles and how they connect in to the seal on the printer tank? They don't appear to leak when inverted, but only drain when pressed into the tank, so I suspect there is some basic mechanism at work.

Thanks!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Genuine inks in bottles are already on a much lower budget pricing level than in cartridges so I don't see such a pricing pressure if you are not really printing high volume overall. But yes - you can fill up the Canon bottles again if you use a longer blunt needle and poke it into the ink outlet of the bottle. Such needles are available here

https://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/Inkjet-Refilling/Tools,-Spares,-Parts/Needles/