Put cartridge in wrong slot, color messed up - HELP Canon Pixma 8500

coxenhole

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon Pixma ip 8500 at work that I use alot. I just started to get some black lines along the left side of the paper so I decided to do a cleaning, to see if it would help. After I started the cleaning, I got a window telling me that the Red color was out. It seemed that the machine was waiting for me to change it so I did. As the cleaning started I realized that I had put the Magenta cartridge in the Red slot. I had both on my desk, because I knew it was going out next. I stopped the cleaning to change it back. When I went to print my document, the purple color on it is now gray. The yellow, black, looks fine, and I have not really tried the others yet. Don't want to run the machine until I know what I should be doing to fix my mistake.

Please help me. Helen

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
just run a cleaning cycle to suck the magenta ink from the red ink channel, then print a nozzle check. If the red test patch isn't back to normal, repeat the process. Two cleaning cycles (three at the most) should clear up most of the problem. Installing the wrong cart isn't as uncommon as you might think, and it isn't all that serious.

coxenhole

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks grandad35,
Did like you advised, and it seems to have helped. I hope it stays clean now.