Pros and cons PIXMA Pro9000 vs. PIXMA Pro9500

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Looking to buy one of the above printer.

I would like to hear them :)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The Pixma Pro9000 is very similar to the i9950/i9900 printer. Same printhead, but with those nasty chips and even with resetters you won't be able to print if one of those chips broke down or is "Dead on arrival". And it is a dye ink printer, which gives better print results on high glossy papers.

The Pro 9500 uses pigmented Lucia inks. And extra matte + grey inks to give you superior b/w-printing without any colour cast. Same problems with nasty chips and there is still no good alternative pigmented refill ink for it. Besides: does someone knows how to refill the PGI-9 cartridges and to reset them ?

However on high glossy papers it will certainly suffer (albeit less than former pigment printers) from metamerism and bronzing and not all papers can be printed on (especially swellable papers).

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Thanks, I think the Pro9000 is better choice because as you say more media is compatible with it. Besides it is more resistant to clogs because it uses dye ink.

I don't know how one would reset PGI-9 or is it possible to refill with "hold 5 sec. trick" to release monitoring capability either.
Besides my recent investigation shows that neither InkTec or OCP ink nor MIS has pigment color ink designed to refill Pro9500. So unless one wants to go bankrupt with purchasing OEM ink I see no pros in it.

Originally I was interested in Ix5000 A3 printer but after I so that it does not use black cartridge for anything than text because it‘s pigment ink used for text only. This means that to get black on photopaper printer always mixes CMY ink and that makes no perfect black you know :(

BTW how is you mod with pigment ink ? any progress ?
I would start by adding pigment ink to black cartridge only given the fact that there is no cheap alternative only HP ink.

I have printed some big posters that do face daylight every day and in 8 years since printed they did not fade one bit. I have them cold laminated myself. The CMY inks were dye. So black ink is an important factor.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Smile,

the IX4000/IX5000 produces really incredible good B/W-prints on photopaper with Hobbicolors UW-8 ink. With the original Canon cartridges composite black looks more like deep purple. I once did a test with the same test photo with B/W gradients and colour and printed the same file on the IX4000 and the i9950 (with dye black), both refilled with Hobbicolors UW-8 ink. It was very difficult to see any differences between the two prints albeit that the i9950 produces softer tones and less grain. If you have refill ink that is able to produces good and deep composite black then the ink is of the highest quality if not you will get a terrible purplish or greenish "black".

For the pigment ink test: I'm still looking for the appropriate pigmented refill ink in several colours for testing. Still no luck to find them.....So guys having old PGI-9 cartridges or can me deliver small ink samples from Canon IPF-printers (using Lucia ink) are welcome to help me.

Besides: if interested, I'm selling my i9950 printer (the one which is unopened and sealed and thus brandnew). Since you are talking about the IX5000 (EU-only version), you can send me a PM.